FAQ: Variables - Mathematical Assignment Operators

This community-built FAQ covers the “Mathematical Assignment Operators” exercise from the lesson "Variables ".

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Web Development

Introduction To JavaScript

FAQs on the exercise Mathematical Assignment Operators

There are currently no frequently asked questions associated with this exercise – that’s where you come in! You can contribute to this section by offering your own questions, answers, or clarifications on this exercise. Ask or answer a question by clicking reply (reply) below.

If you’ve had an “aha” moment about the concepts, formatting, syntax, or anything else with this exercise, consider sharing those insights! Teaching others and answering their questions is one of the best ways to learn and stay sharp.

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

Where does it tell you what number to set the different variables to? For example, multiplyMe was supposed to be set to 32, but I saw that information nowhere when learning the exercise.

Hi anyone out there!

Just with this topic, why do you need to use the mathematical assignment operators with the equals symbol i.e. +=, /= if you get the same output with just using the + or / ? I’m going out on a limb and thinking it means something a little later on.

Thanks!

Why questions get a nose up because they seem gratuitous. The asker has not done any due digilence on their own.

Sorry I don’t understand how this helps? What do you mean?

It’s harder to answer to a why? question than a how? Often beginners want to know the reason before the mechanics which only muddies the waters. Syntax and structure are better learned by rote, at the start, then gradually the reasoning reveals itself.

Currently trying to get the hang of the different mathematical notations, such as -=, or /=.
Does y *= 2; have any advantages over y = y*2, like script preformance? Or is it just a preference?

The latter feels more natural to me, but I’m interested to know if the former has any benefits in the long run.

It could be it was derived out of preference since the logic could be so easily abstracted. The longer form is still taking place in the background since it is a two step process.

1 Like