FAQ: Thith Meanth War! - Setting Up the 'Else' Branch

This community-built FAQ covers the “Setting Up the ‘Else’ Branch” exercise from the lesson “Thith Meanth War!”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Learn Ruby

FAQs on the exercise Setting Up the ‘Else’ Branch

There are currently no frequently asked questions associated with this exercise – that’s where you come in! You can contribute to this section by offering your own questions, answers, or clarifications on this exercise. Ask or answer a question by clicking reply (reply) below.

If you’ve had an “aha” moment about the concepts, formatting, syntax, or anything else with this exercise, consider sharing those insights! Teaching others and answering their questions is one of the best ways to learn and stay sharp.

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

HI! I used the code as below, to substitute “s” with “th” but when user input has an “s” it was not changed on screen to a “th” did I do something wrong or was it not supposed to change onscreen?

Thanks!

print "Pleathe enter a thtring: "
user_input = gets.chomp
user_input.downcase!

if user_input.include? “s”
user_input.gsub!(/s/,“th”)
else
puts “Well, thakth for nuthin!”
end

When using the bang method, we need the user to include at least one uppercase letter else user_input will become nil. That will raise an exception when this line is encountered…

if user_input.include? "s"

since nil has no attribute, include.

To get around this, either enter user_input as uppercase or do not use the bang method.

user_input = gets.chomp.downcase
1 Like

Thanks for the help .

1 Like

user_input.gsub!(/s/,“th”)

You did not include a space between (, and ")

Try, user_input.gsub!(/s/, “th”)

Hi there! I think there is some problem with the platform every time I try to put a string input I cannot write anything and the execution expires even if I try with your solution

After you click the “Run” button, the terminal will prompt you for input.

After the prompt is shown, make sure you mouse click on the terminal window. This will select/highlight the terminal and will allow you to type in the terminal.

yes I know, when the prompt is shown I click the terminal I write in the terminal but just keeps buffering and then :
Output:

Pleathe enter a thtring: execution expired
fhyjjyjukukulthsssth
th