FAQ: Thith Meanth War! - Congratulationth!

Thank you for replying

Hi can someone help me. I am trying to enter another if function to reprompt the user to enter input.

My codeis below;

print "Please type: "
user_input = gets.chomp
user_input.downcase!
if user_input.empty?
print "You entered no information, please type: "
user_input = gets.chomp
user_input.downcase!
end

if user_input.include? “s” || “ce” || “c” || “si”
user_input.gsub!(/s/,“th”) && user_input.gsub!(/ce/, “th”) && user_input.gsub!(/c/, “th”) && user_input.gsub!(/si/, “th”)
else
print “Nothing to do here”
end

puts “#{user_input}”

With this code I get - You entered no information, please type: Nothing to do here - which is a merge of my final “else” string and the second prompt. Can anyone see what I am doing wrong

Hi beta,
Unfortunately I am unable to replicate you results. If the problem is still occurring try refreshing the page and/or logging in and out.

Hi,
I am also learning. You must call again to the variable, try this:

print "Please type: "
    user_input = gets.chomp
    user_input.downcase!

if user_input.empty?
    puts "You entered no information, please type: "
    user_input = gets.chomp
    user_input.downcase!
end    

if user_input.empty?
    puts "You entered no information, please type: "
    user_input = gets.chomp
    user_input.downcase!
end

if
    if user_input.include? ("s")
#another way, to replace
        user_input.replace "th"
        print "Word '#{user_input}'"
    elsif user_input.include? "ce"
        user_input.gsub!(/ce/, "th")
    elsif
        user_input.include? "c"
        user_input.gsub!(/c/, "th")
    elsif user_input.include? ("si")  
        user_input.replace "th"
    else
        print "Nothing to do here"
    end
end

You do realize that the entire if block will be ignored unless there’s “s” right?

Thank you for this, it helped me !
If I may add my 2 cents:
This definitely works if you want to capitalize the Daffy Duckified string as in having the first letter of the string as a capital letter. But it won’t “preserve the user’s original capitilization”.
The other problem I had was that “ce” was only replaced by “th” when the string actually contained an “s” as well.
So here would be my solution to that problem:

print "pleathe enter a thtring: " user_input= gets.chomp user_input.downcase! if user_input.empty? print "You didn't enter any word. Please enter some words: " user_input2= gets.chomp user_input2.downcase! if user_input2.include?("s") || user_input2.include?("ce") user_input2.gsub!(/s|ce/, "th") puts "Your Daffy Duckified string is: #{user_input2.capitalize!}" end elsif user_input.include?("s") || user_input.include?("ce") user_input.gsub!(/s|ce/, "th") puts "Your Daffy Duckified string is: #{user_input.capitalize!}" else puts "Nothing to daffy duckify here, please enter at least a word with an sssss sound in it: " user_input3= gets.chomp user_input3.downcase! if user_input3.include?("s") || user_input3.include?("ce") user_input3.gsub!(/s|ce/, "th") puts "Your Daffy Duckified string is: #{user_input3.capitalize!}" end end