FAQ: Subqueries - Correlated Subqueries II

This community-built FAQ covers the “Correlated Subqueries II” exercise from the lesson “Subqueries”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

SQL: Table Transformation

FAQs on the exercise Correlated Subqueries II

There are currently no frequently asked questions associated with this exercise – that’s where you come in! You can contribute to this section by offering your own questions, answers, or clarifications on this exercise. Ask or answer a question by clicking reply (reply) below.

If you’ve had an “aha” moment about the concepts, formatting, syntax, or anything else with this exercise, consider sharing those insights! Teaching others and answering their questions is one of the best ways to learn and stay sharp.

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

I just don’t understand what this question was ? " Using the same pattern, write a query to view flights by origin, flight id, and sequence number. Alias the sequence number column as `flight_sequence_number .". I had to get the solution to see what the code was doing. I seriously did not follow this chapter so far. There should be better examples.

Thank you
Sivarama Krishnan (kvsrkrishnan)

I had the same problem, and have been having similar problems with the next few lessons as well.

SELECT origin, id,
(SELECT COUNT(*)
FROM flights f
WHERE f.id < flights.id
AND f.origin=flights.origin) + 1
AS flight_sequence_number
FROM flights;

Here we query based on origin and id rather than carrier and id as shown in the example.

But what does that achieve? What are you trying to query here? The Correlated subqueries are used for row-by-row processing, so for every orgin and id in the outer query… what are you executing in the inner query?

Can somebody explain the inner query and atleast 2 iterations please ?

I do agree with you. no explanation why the code is as it is… (unless i’ve skipped a bit)
why the ‘AS f’
why the ‘a.’

i can copy and paste and replace well, but it doesn’t mean i understand what is happening…
Guess i’ll have to read around other forums to find out why…
Its a bit disappointing, not as well thought through (or perhaps properly tested) as the initial SQL course…