FAQ: Redirection - Your First Redirect

This community-built FAQ covers the “Your First Redirect” exercise from the lesson “Redirection”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Web Development

Learn the Command Line

FAQs on the exercise Your First Redirect

There are currently no frequently asked questions associated with this exercise – that’s where you come in! You can contribute to this section by offering your own questions, answers, or clarifications on this exercise. Ask or answer a question by clicking reply (reply) below.

If you’ve had an “aha” moment about the concepts, formatting, syntax, or anything else with this exercise, consider sharing those insights! Teaching others and answering their questions is one of the best ways to learn and stay sharp.

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!
You can also find further discussion and get answers to your questions over in Language Help.

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head to Language Help and Tips and Resources. If you are wanting feedback or inspiration for a project, check out Projects.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions in Community

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it online, or post in Bug Reporting

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

It says " You should see "Hello World" printed to the console." is this literal? I dont see the console provided anywhere.

Yes, you should see the giant black screen with white words that we’ve been working with for this whole course. if you don’t, check and see if you cant open a new console window by pressing the + button in the top left hand corner of where you would normally see the console

1 Like

It says:

The > command redirects the standard output to a file. Here, "Hello" is entered as the standard input, and is then redirected to the file hello.txt by > .

Does this mean > creates files?

If you’re using > for redirection it’ll try to open a file and send output there, assuming the operation is permitted. If the file doesn’t exist one will be created, if a file of that name already exists it will be truncated (emptied) before the new output is added.

So you can create files this way.

1 Like

Ok, now I understand.
Thank you.

1 Like

So i put down exactly what it says to put down and it wont let me pass.

echo “Hello world” > hello.txt