FAQ: Razor Pages Syntax II - Tag Helpers

This community-built FAQ covers the “Tag Helpers” exercise from the lesson “Razor Pages Syntax II”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Build Web Apps with ASP.NET

FAQs on the exercise Tag Helpers

There are currently no frequently asked questions associated with this exercise – that’s where you come in! You can contribute to this section by offering your own questions, answers, or clarifications on this exercise. Ask or answer a question by clicking reply (reply) below.

If you’ve had an “aha” moment about the concepts, formatting, syntax, or anything else with this exercise, consider sharing those insights! Teaching others and answering their questions is one of the best ways to learn and stay sharp.

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!
You can also find further discussion and get answers to your questions over in Language Help.

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head to Language Help and Tips and Resources. If you are wanting feedback or inspiration for a project, check out Projects.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions in Community

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it online, or post in Bug Reporting

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

For some reason any code changes in the files are not being reflected in the preview window. It’s like all the view and model files are hard coded in that preview window. Any way around this because i really wanted to test things out.

I have completed this lesson, but are having a couple of problems:

Like the user above, the preview window doesn’t reflect my code. I can make any changes and the preview still only shows the default project.
I then copied the code to an empty Visual Studio project in order to test it there and to do some experimenting… however, I’m getting a strange error: The type or namespace SelectListItem could not be found.
Fixes are suggested, like adding the Rendering-class in the top, but none of them seems right to me.

using Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc;
using Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.RazorPages;
//using Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Rendering;
using Microsoft.Extensions.Logging;
using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
using System.Threading.Tasks;

namespace Codecademy_undervisning.Pages
{
    public class IndexModel : PageModel
    {
        private readonly ILogger<IndexModel> _logger;

public IndexModel(ILogger<IndexModel> logger)
        {
            _logger = logger;
        }

public string Country { get; set; }
        public List<SelectListItem> Countries { get; set; } // <-- This won't compile

public void OnGet()
        {
            Countries = new SelectListItem("AR", "Argentina"); // <-- Neither will these
            Countries = new SelectListItem("FR", "France");
            Countries = new SelectListItem("BR", "Brazil");
            Countries = new SelectListItem("GER", "Germany");
            Countries = new SelectListItem("CHI", "China");
        }
    }
}

I believe list needs to be created as a instance of the List class. This works for me:

public List<SelectListItem> Countries { get; set; } = new List List<SelectListItem>