FAQ: Overview of the Internet - Web 2.0

This community-built FAQ covers the “Web 2.0” exercise from the lesson “Overview of the Internet”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Code Foundations

FAQs on the exercise Web 2.0

There are currently no frequently asked questions associated with this exercise – that’s where you come in! You can contribute to this section by offering your own questions, answers, or clarifications on this exercise. Ask or answer a question by clicking reply (reply) below.

If you’ve had an “aha” moment about the concepts, formatting, syntax, or anything else with this exercise, consider sharing those insights! Teaching others and answering their questions is one of the best ways to learn and stay sharp.

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

It says that the time since posting is updated without reloading the page, that it is “dynamic.”

Is that true? I don’t ever remember that happening in Facebook. So if you just posted something and sit on the page, you can see it go from 1 minute ago, to 2 minutes ago, etc?

6 Likes

Not really. Dynamic refers to the page content being generated according to some variables. For example a news page might show you the articles that are most recent, or most read, or those that are local to your IP address.

When you talk about a page changing or updating without reloading, then you’re talking more about interactivity.

For example:

• A game needn’t be dynamic - the game can feature the same content for everyone - but a game is necessarily interactive.
  • A weather channel needn’t be interactive - it might feature entirely text-based content with nothing more than links - but the content that it serves up to Florida IP addresses would be different content to that which it serves up to California IP addresses. Thus we say the content is dynamic (different people see different content, even if that content isn’t interactive).
7 Likes

When are we expecting Web 3.0, and what are its possible features?

1 Like

lol. it’s interesting seeing this question now. so much about web 3.0 has been thrown at us not long after you asked this.

1 Like

Thanks for these comments, but if this is true then the description given by codeacademy is not.
It says in the page that:
" Dynamic — the time since posting (currently “12 hrs”) updates without reloading the whole page".
To contrast with what you say:
" When you talk about a page changing or updating without reloading , then you’re talking more about interactivity ."

So does codeacademy mean interactive rather than dynamic here? Time also does not update without reloading ( as i’ve found on other social media sites like Linkedin). I find your explanation much clearer, but this explanation of dynamic given by codeacademy is confusing.

2 Likes

So, had another thought about it… When you understand more of the lingo it’s easier to be specific with regard to this sort of thing. Just forget about the confusing term “interactive” - because nobody uses it and it’s meaningless because it’s so ambiguous.

• If you’re using AJAX to make a dynamic page that updates without refreshing just describe that you’re using AJAX to make the page dynamic.
  • If you’re doing an SPA just describe it as an SPA.
  • If you’re rendering a dynamic page using PHP (or whatever backend), and delivering it as static HTML, just describe it as that.
  • If it’s a hybrid of any of above… same story - just be specific and avoid ambiguous bush-league terms.
1 Like

now i am more confuse between static and dynamic…please can you clear the air in between?

What about web 3.0? Given the immense technology growth, web 3.0 should not be left out, I would appreciate some enlightenment about web3.0

1 Like

What exactly is jQuery to JavaScript? Is jQuery the old version?

Yes. The page element that displays the time can do so automatically without any user interaction. I don’t know if you can do this with straight HTML5 or not. It can certainly be done with PHP or JavaScript.

I’m interested in the speed development of a potential Web 4.0. How fast will the web technologies of the future be? And how much will it cost? I hope the cost will be reasonable because I’m interested in a work from home job or career.