FAQ: Overview of the Internet - The World Wide Web

This community-built FAQ covers “The World Wide Web” exercise from the lesson “Overview of the Internet”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Code Foundations

FAQs on the exercise The World Wide Web

There are currently no frequently asked questions associated with this exercise – that’s where you come in! You can contribute to this section by offering your own questions, answers, or clarifications on this exercise. Ask or answer a question by clicking reply (reply) below.

If you’ve had an “aha” moment about the concepts, formatting, syntax, or anything else with this exercise, consider sharing those insights! Teaching others and answering their questions is one of the best ways to learn and stay sharp.

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

Is a website still a part of the world wide web if it is not linked to any other websites?

2 Likes

From what I understood, the world wide web is simply a collection of web pages and media content. So yes, one-paged web pages are part of the world wide web

Also, just to check I understood correctly, the internet is simply the way computers connect and communicate with each other. So, computers use the internet to retrieve information (amongst many more things) and the world wide web provides a user-friendly way to display this information, right?

4 Likes

Looking at the illustration of this lesson showing the pages / websites with varying degrees of connection and directionality, I am wondering whether it is the situation in real-life, or are there websites that are “not connected” to any other website (not in the illustration).
Also, are there advantages to having varying connectivities over full connevtivity to all website by definition?
(Is it just a result of settings promoting competition)?
Please explain.
Thanks!

1 Like

The only example I can think of is if you locally host your website so that only you can see it. Though I don’t think that makes it part of the world wide web

Can you elaborate? I’m not sure I understand this question

4 Likes

Are deepweb and darkweb part of this collection (WWW)?

2 Likes

I think it may be simpler to think of the internet being what we use to access the world wide web. Internet is the connection and the world wide web is almost like a program that accesses the thing you are trying to connect to. Like Wifi. And I may be so far off. lol

2 Likes

Yes, the deepweb is all the content that has restricted content ( like netflix, google drive or onlyfans :grin:) in order to get this content you need to pay or ask for access. Then you have the darkweb wish is all the content that you can’t find with traditional search engines like google or yahoo, most of this part of the internet is intentional hiding because well, you know why.

2 Likes

So from what I understood, the Internet from the early days is just a network that shows text while with the invention of the World Wide Web, there is the possibility to view content other than text. So, in today’s time, if the World Wide Web was not invented, are texts the only thing we can view today?

3 Likes

Think of the internet as the roads that connect towns and cities together. The World Wide Web contains the things you see on the roads like houses and shops. And the vehicles are the data moving around

4 Likes

I remember in 1993 going into Hastings and you could buy navigator, or internet explorer; AOL was shipped to you in the mail, whether you had a computer or not. That is CRAZY, that wasn’t that long ago.

wow really liked this explanation.

In the illustration, I see that the www is connected unidirectionally. I am trying to understand why it can’t be two-way. Any thoughts?

what! how did that work? you mean the Internet Explorer installer was sent to you via mail?

In a typical web interaction:

1. Client to Server (Request): When you type a URL in your web browser and press Enter, your browser sends a request to the server specified in the URL to retrieve a particular resource (like a webpage).
  2. Server to Client (Response): The server processes the request and sends back a response, typically containing the requested resource (e.g., an HTML page, images, stylesheets, scripts).

The unidirectional nature of this interaction is largely due to the design of the Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP), which is the protocol used for communication on the World Wide Web. In this model, the client initiates a request, and the server responds. This design simplifies many aspects of web communication and aligns well with the stateless nature of HTTP.

However, this doesn’t mean that there can’t be other forms of communication or connections in a broader system. In other networking scenarios or protocols, bidirectional communication is certainly possible. For example, in web applications, technologies like WebSockets enable bidirectional communication, allowing both the client and server to send messages to each other in real-time.

The usage of Internet is not free back then!!!

In the 1990s, web browsers like Netscape Navigator and later Internet Explorer were often distributed through retail channels. Users could purchase physical copies of these browsers on CD-ROMs from stores like Hastings, Best Buy, or other electronics retailers.

America Online (AOL) used a different model. AOL was an internet service provider (ISP) that offered both internet access and a range of online services. They were known for their aggressive marketing campaigns and distributing their software on physical media like floppy disks and later CDs. These disks/CDs were often included in magazines, sent by mail, or distributed at retail locations.

What I understood is the following:

• IP determines the destination address.
  • TCP facilitates the reliable and ordered transfer of the message to that destination.
  • WWW is the content that users interact with when they reach the desired destination.

What I learned:

The importance of Tim Berners-Lee in the creation of the world wide web was that society had its first encounter with the Internet and offered an interface that allowed users to investigate.

There is a difference between the internet and the world wide web

1 Like

Yes, a website can function as a standalone without any links. However, it is still on the world wide web. For example, think about websites such as Amazon website. It doesn’t have to be linked or associated with any other websites.