FAQ: Overview of the Internet - The Ever-Expanding Network

This community-built FAQ covers the “The Ever-Expanding Network” exercise from the lesson “Overview of the Internet”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Code Foundations

FAQs on the exercise The Ever-Expanding Network

There are currently no frequently asked questions associated with this exercise – that’s where you come in! You can contribute to this section by offering your own questions, answers, or clarifications on this exercise. Ask or answer a question by clicking reply (reply) below.

If you’ve had an “aha” moment about the concepts, formatting, syntax, or anything else with this exercise, consider sharing those insights! Teaching others and answering their questions is one of the best ways to learn and stay sharp.

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

what does it mean to be precursor to the network?

4 Likes

It means it was the first thing out of which the internet was birth forth

4 Likes

Hi All,

I did a bit of research but I’m looking to find out who the actual “Early ARPANET Institutions” are (early ARPANET supercomputers). Trying to complete the acronyms on the map.

East Coast

1. Harvard - Harvard University
  2. MIT - Massachusetts Institute of Technology
  3. BBM - ? (“Black Berry Messenger”:))

West Coast

1. UCLA - University of California, Los Angeles
  2. SRI - Stanford Research Institute
  3. USBC - University of California-Santa Barbara
  4. RAND - ?
  5. SDC - ?
  6. Utah - ?

Can anyone fill in the blanks ("?")?

Thanks!

11 Likes

Heyaaa :rocket:

1. Harvard - Harvard University
  2. MIT - Massachusetts Institute of Technology
  3. BBM - Blackberry :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:/ I’m lost too. S O S. I read about BBN (originally Bolt Beranek and Newman Inc.) as they built the Interface Message processor for the ARPANET…

West Coast

1. UCLA - University of California, Los Angeles
  2. SRI - Stanford Research Institute
  3. USBC - University of California-Santa Barbara
  4. RAND - RAND Corporation
  5. SDC - System Development Corporation - Q32 in Santa Monica
  6. Utah - University of Utah
14 Likes

What is the meaning of TCP/IP and their functions?

2 Likes

Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol

1 Like

Thank you for your contribution! :+1:

Interesting to see how the difficulties in standardised communication of data between each organisations network, lead to the development of TCP/IP and a standard that we used today. Allowing us to have the internet ! Very interesting!

5 Likes

How did they connect the supercomputers?

Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)/Internet Protocol (IP). Layer 4 and 3 technologies respectively.

Is TCP and IP different technologies? Why do we need to separate the name with a / (slash)?

1 Like

Were there other internet precursors around the world? How did the internet become “world wide”?

1 Like

The internet was opened up to commercial use back in/around 1985, I think. Not too sure of the order of events but the creation of the www on top of the 'net was key to the internet becoming world wide. Google Tim Berners-Lee if you haven’t already come across this bit of history in the introductory bits of FSE.
s

1 Like

Yeah BBM has to be a typo.

1 Like

The connection was by telephone lines. TCP/IP facilitated communications over telephone networks.

1 Like

is it just me or does the ARPANET looks like a stretched swan. Maybe they can call it SWANNET (its catchy too!)
Also I have a question so did the initial ARPANET network had huge copper wires underground going from one end of US to another end. How did the networks communicate with each other with the limited technology of 1969?

1 Like

Its initial purpose was to link computers at Pentagon-funded research institutions over telephone lines.
ARPANET | Definition, Map, Cold War, First Message, & History | Britannica

1 Like

Thank you for your answer :slight_smile:

1 Like