FAQ: Overview of the Internet - Current Internet Trends

This community-built FAQ covers the “Current Internet Trends” exercise from the lesson “Overview of the Internet”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Code Foundations

FAQs on the exercise Current Internet Trends

There are currently no frequently asked questions associated with this exercise – that’s where you come in! You can contribute to this section by offering your own questions, answers, or clarifications on this exercise. Ask or answer a question by clicking reply (reply) below.

If you’ve had an “aha” moment about the concepts, formatting, syntax, or anything else with this exercise, consider sharing those insights! Teaching others and answering their questions is one of the best ways to learn and stay sharp.

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

What exactly are media queries and relative units, and how do they make websites adjust according to the size of window in which they are displayed?

3 Likes

I tried changing the window size, enlarging and reducing it. However, no font size change was perceived… Tried with Chrome and Firefox browsers.

6 Likes

Where is the 404 page storage?

Generally stored in the server, they are sent back to the client upon request, along with the content of the webpages.

1 Like

Your site and your server can be set up in so many different ways that this question is too open-ended to answer. As you progress in the course, this will become clearer.

It all depends on the CSS and framework you are using. Bootstrap, Angular, and React provide a way to make content responsive without spending too much time on CSS. Using Bootstrap framework I was able to create many responsive internal sites at work

2 Likes

Commentary

jQuery came out at the tail end of the browser wars when IE was going one way, and W3C was going another. Vendors were siding with W3C but they still went their own way. The early library was so influential because it abstracted away some of the ugly bits of coding for two platforms and gave developers a single interface model.

It made coding for any browser possible with the addition of a single library. It is not a framework. It’s just a function that maps two platforms into one execution model. The ugly bits are still there in the background, if you read the source code. This was cutting edge stuff in the day. A library function.

When mobile came into existence it happened so fast that everybody was scrambling for years. The response from W3C and the WHATWG community was media queries introduced in CSS3. Now CSS had logic which was not wasted on just device width. It brought in transitions and gradients and a whole host of really cool designer aimed features.

Bootstrap was timed to take advantage of this transition. jQuery had given us abstract control over the DOM; Bootstrap came along to give us abstract control over the style sheet. I’ve never built a site with both, but I bet it can be done very nicely in 2010 terms.

6 Likes

Awesome Thank you for sharing. I didn’t know

1 Like

A study of the history of the internet should be a complete course. With all the bits chronologically documented. Of course, this is all online so one can make it their own extra study. Don’t forget to add this to your syllabus.

3 Likes

will do thank you so much :slight_smile:

1 Like

The same happened to me @ajracini

The same happen to me, anyone can explain this?

I’m using Microsoft Edge, and same, no change with resize.

Yeah the page isn’t responsive. I guess, the Codecademy instructors need to review the code behind that page. They thought it was responsive but that was done.

Hey friends!

To complete the task, use the resize cursor between the “Learn” content (on the left) and the demo website (on the right). The content on both sides will be adjusted when you resize this way :slight_smile:

If you try to resize the demo website using your browser/device tools it won’t work :frowning:

I struggled at first but hope this helps :slight_smile:

When you change resolution of website to mobile you will see the changes in font and image please refer attached image.

Do apps still fetch data from a server even though they’re not part of the W3?

1 Like

By ‘not a part of W3’, what exactly do you mean?

Let me take a stab at this as a fellow learner.

World wide web is the user interface that queries files from a server to display it onto a screen. With mobile applications. the UI is stored on the local storage. The UI is not queried, each time you open the app.