FAQ: Nodes: Python - Python Nodes Review

This community-built FAQ covers the “Python Nodes Review” exercise from the lesson “Nodes: Python”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Computer Science

Linear Data Structures

FAQs on the exercise Python Nodes Review

There are currently no frequently asked questions associated with this exercise – that’s where you come in! You can contribute to this section by offering your own questions, answers, or clarifications on this exercise. Ask or answer a question by clicking reply (reply) below.

If you’ve had an “aha” moment about the concepts, formatting, syntax, or anything else with this exercise, consider sharing those insights! Teaching others and answering their questions is one of the best ways to learn and stay sharp.

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

Regarding Step 3, I’m not clear why using get_link_node() is necessary

Referring specifically to the (apparently correct) code below:

dots_data = yacko.get_link_node().get_value()

Why not just write 'dots_data = yacko.link_node.get_value()? We’ve already set the link node as an attribute of the class in the set_link_node() method.

Edit: In fact, I’m not sure what the point of the get_link_node() or set_link_node() methods are at all, when we can just ‘get’ and ‘set’ using regular dot notation with class attributes.

My best guess is that they want to expose all behaviour through methods.
I don’t agree, in my eyes it’s dead code that makes it harder to see what’s actually being done.

I’m not sure how to complete step two. The directions are vague

Are you referring to step 2 of page 2 or step 2 of page 4?

In this particular case you can’t tell the advantages, but the ‘get’ and ‘set’ methods are used in other programming languages in order to control the types of the data you pass to the instance variables. Say you have an instance variable ‘age’. If you didn’t set a ‘set’ method with ‘if’ statements, you would be able to enter a string. Sometimes it’s not necessary at all but people keep using the ‘set’ and ‘get’ method as good practice, I guess.

What about the second point in step 3 (of the fourth part of the lesson)? It asks how we can get the value of -wacko- from -yacko- but they are not immediately linked. However -yacko- is linked to -dot- and -dot- is linked to -wacko-.
Is there a way to to travel through -dot- with the -.get_link_node().get_value()-?