FAQ: Navigation - Your First Command

This community-built FAQ covers the “Your First Command” exercise from the lesson “Navigation”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Web Development
Computer Science

Learn the Command Line

FAQs on the exercise Your First Command

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

Hi you say this is only for unix or Mac based systems but what about the rest of us - how can I carry on the coarse if I have a Windows system? Please don’t abandon me now pleaseeeeeee :slight_smile: thanks Lisa

5 Likes

Eh. It’s not really for an os as such, rather for a collection of programs one would expect to find on a unix-like system.

windows is more of a point-and-click thing, aside from microsoft products you just… wouldn’t

If you’re using windows 10 then you’d be able to use wsl, otherwise you can use msys2, they both provide a unix-like environment.

3 Likes

Thanks for your response. I was tired and had a stupid moment, sorry and thanks

2 Likes

قناة_شليلة

ولم جزيل الشكر

ihdadi

Thank you for this first lesson :smile:

Unfortunately as a newbie, I don’t understand @ionatan 's explanation. Also confused why they would suddenly introduce a course that only Mac and Linux users can make use of. Should I skip this section if I don’t have a Mac?

What is wsl? What is msys2?

3 Likes

Agreed. Most learners will be Windows users, so unless I’ve missed something critical, one would think we would have the option to learn to use PowerShell and Windows Command Prompt.

1 Like

Did this get resolved? Should I skip this section (using windows10).

1 Like

i am still confused but gonna take course… i think i wont be useless

I agree with my fellow Coders’ common sentiment expressed in the above comments.

Is it possible to provide a similar command line course using Windows commands instead? Should Coders using Windows forego using the built-in command line as common practice?