FAQ: Navigation - mkdir

This community-built FAQ covers the “mkdir” exercise from the lesson “Navigation”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Computer Science
Web Development
Build a Website with HTML, CSS, and Github Pages
Create a Front-End App with React
Learn the Command Line

FAQs on the exercise mkdir

There are currently no frequently asked questions associated with this exercise – that’s where you come in! You can contribute to this section by offering your own questions, answers, or clarifications on this exercise. Ask or answer a question by clicking reply (reply) below.

If you’ve had an “aha” moment about the concepts, formatting, syntax, or anything else with this exercise, consider sharing those insights! Teaching others and answering their questions is one of the best ways to learn and stay sharp.

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!
You can also find further discussion and get answers to your questions over in Language Help.

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head to Language Help and Tips and Resources. If you are wanting feedback or inspiration for a project, check out Projects.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions in Community

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it online, or post in Bug Reporting

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

Hi there,
My name is Allie Newton and I’m having issues with question 1 in this mkdir exercise. The first question instructs the user to cd 2014/dec then list the files of that directory using ls but how do I execute both commands on the same line? Because if I press Enter after the cd command the console thinks I’m missing the ls command. I’ve tried using spaces and / to separate commands but I still get errors. What am I doing wrong?

3 Likes

The Command Line exercises are a bit different in that the exercises constantly reevaluate your work (e.g. without needing to press a button to save) to determine if you’ve passed each step. In other words, simply using two different lines to first navigate to the correct directory, then listing its contents, will allow you to pass.

On another note, you can execute multiple commands on one line by separating them with a semicolon. By doing this, the next command will be executed regardless if the previous one was successful or failed.

4 Likes

Hi,

I suggest skipping cd (change directory) and accessing 2014/dec by list.

2 Likes

im putting in 2014/dec and it saying directory but i cant seem to get past that? help

Which step are you stuck on?

am i putting a point somewhere wrong that i cant move on?

Please state which of the instructions you are stuck on and what command you entered when attempting this exercise.

can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong?

Welcome to the forums!

It looks like your current directory is blog/2015/jan. You want to navigate to blog/2014/dec. This means you’ll have to navigate up two directories, then into 2014, then into dec. How can you do this?

Hint

You can use .. to navigate up one directory. Refer back to the lessons on the cd command if necessary.

1 Like

Hello I am stuck on the first question in the mkdir exercise. When I write the exact same line suggested to me by the hint or the warning below, the code still doesn’t seem to work. This is what happens:

Welcome to the forums!

Remember that when specifying a directory you want to navigate to, it must be a child of the current directory/the previous directory in a filepath.

If you’re currently in home/ccuser/workspace/blog/2015/jan, you can’t access 2014/jan. We have to navigate to a directory where we can access 2014, then tack on 2014/jan afterwards. With this in mind, what should you do?

hi

im doing everything the above is doing but when i try to type in 2014/jan there no directory apparently?!

Reading some of the earlier posts in this thread can be helpful.

ls 2014 2015 hardware.txt media cd 2014/dec
pwd 2014/dec /home/ccuser/workspace/blog/2014/dec

Hello Victoria,
for the step:
-Navigate to the /home/ccuser/workspace/blog/2014/dec/ directory.

Then list all files and directories in the working directory to see what’s currently in there.

I did try to follow what you suggested, however, it doesn’t seem to work out.
In the end, I used this

![image|690x284](uploa

d://y5vJQW60xuuCz0nqa1xnpmgbwce.png)

I am really stuck!
I would I appreciate some help

Welcome to the forums!

Take a look at the result of when you used pwd. It shows that you’re already in /2014/dec. So that’s already taken care of. When we use ls, we don’t need to specify what directory we want to list the items of. If you want to list the files and directories in the current working directory, all you have to do is use ls. You don’t need to specify a directory unless you want to list the contents of a directory that is not the working directory (in this case, you’d use a relative path).

2 Likes

Look, I could explain a easier way. So first type in cd 2014/dec in the bash.
Second type in pwd
then ls
and pwd again
thats how i did it and i hope it helps!

5 Likes

honestly instead of giving clues like you are the riddler or telling people to re read earlier posts like you are a teacher how about answering peoples questions… went through all your replies and you not once actually helped anyone

22 Likes

Hey I see a lot of people are stuck on question 1. I was to so I tried refreshing. It should cause you to have a blank screen. Then type pwd and press enter you should see your back to the beginning directory. Then type 2014/dec; ls and press enter. That should work for some reason.

10 Likes