FAQ: Navigation - mkdir

This community-built FAQ covers the “mkdir” exercise from the lesson “Navigation”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Web Development
Computer Science

Learn the Command Line

FAQs on the exercise mkdir

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

Hi! Does anybody understand from the instructions how to see the file directory using pwd after you created a new directory or file? The instructions say that after creating it you should see it using pwd but the only thing I see is the directory from before like cd /home/ccuser/workspace/blog/2014/dec - yet when I try to create the file or directory again, I get an error message that says: “file/directory already exists” so clearly it has been created. Did I miss sth?

pwd gives you the current working directory, it doesn’t show you the files or directories in the current working directory

thanks! just found out what was wrong. I needed to navigate to the media directory with ‘cd’ first in order to see what was in there and that it is there (now my mistake is obvious). I think this should be defined a bit more clearly in the instructions though. If you are new to this whole stuff it can get super confusing as you are not used to navigating in this way.

I’m still confused though. If the instructions ask for “list all files… from the current directory” I expect a command to get a list of all files. But we haven’t had this instruction yet? I can’t use pwd for this because it will just show me the current directory I am in. Not a list of files included.

the command to list files within a directory surely has been taught? Otherwise, maybe you can google? Google is you friend, using google and learning to read documentation is a good idea

maybe the exercise only validates the navigation/changing directory?