FAQ: Manipulation - Relational Databases

This community-built FAQ covers the “Relational Databases” exercise from the lesson “Manipulation”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Web Development
Data Science

Learn SQL

FAQs on the exercise Relational Databases

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

What things are related in a Relational Database?
A table is also called as a relation that means it is the connection or relation between columns.
Is this relation referred in the name? I read posts where some people were referring it to relation between tables. This is confusing.

Up to my knowledge, the relation here is referred to as the relationship between data, whether it be the relation between columns or tables, at the end both are referring to data.

1 Like

In my understanding, a relational database is a group or collection of data which can be presented in a table form ok. Ordinarily a table contains rows and columns; the relation is seen in the way the data are shown for example;
List of cars
C/N YOM EC
Yaris 2015 1.6L
Parius 2018 2.8L
Legend: YOM: Year of Manufacture, EC: Engine capacity

IF the above is a proper table, one can see that there are relations between the data presented; column 1 row1 car name(C/N is yaris, manufactured 2015 with an engine capacity of 1.6 litres and so on and so fort.
Hence one can see clearly that the data presented on the rows and columns are related.

1 Like

I know this is a year later, but maybe this reply will help someone. Typical day-to-day relations in a SQL database usually work like this:

Your DB might store a list of customers and jobs done for those customers. One customer can own many jobs. The corollary to that is that many jobs belong to a customer.

Another example, maybe you want to be able to store several phone numbers for each of your customers. So the relations look like this:
’customer’ has many ‘phone_number’ and ‘phone_number’ belongs to 'customer’

1 Like

false statement if “customer” has many "phone_number and “phone number” belongs to “customer” wrong number is a fraud clause in law no number is declared

therefore it is not her number?

Credit and Collection of Law Offices