FAQ: Manipulation - Introduction to SQL

This community-built FAQ covers the “Introduction to SQL” exercise from the lesson “Manipulation”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Web Development
Data Science

Learn SQL

FAQs on the exercise Introduction to SQL

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

Hey everyone. I’m new to SQL, just recently finished the Learn SQL course. I’m curious though, where does the data all come from…if I have spreadsheets at work that i’d like to query using SQL how can I turn the data from the documents into usable databases?

2 Likes

The data tables are prebuilt for the course and reside on the CC SQL server. We have no access othe than through the lessons.

It might be possible to create a table and define all the columns, then manually enter the data from your spreadsheet. Outside of that, you will need your own installation of SQL so you can build your database on your own machine.

convert excel to sql

1 Like

Hello, I’m new to SQL. I think the list of commands provided (https://www.codecademy.com/articles/sql-commands) was a very helpful page. I attempted to put the commands into a chart based on “type” and wanted to know if it looks correct?

3 Likes

https://www.codecademy.com/paths/analyze-data-with-sql/tracks/analyze-data-sql-get-started-with-sql/modules/analyze-data-sql-learn-manipulation/lessons/manipulation/exercises/sql

I notice in SQL the use of uppercase letters.

Are these equivalent?

SELECT * FROM celebs;

and

select * from celebs;

2 Likes

Yes, they both are equivalent.
As SQL is case insensitive, but in some cases and systems (like in Linux by default) the column names and table names are case sensitive.

1 Like