FAQ: Manipulation - cp I

This community-built FAQ covers the “cp I” exercise from the lesson “Manipulation”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Web Development

Learn the Command Line

FAQs on the exercise cp I

There are currently no frequently asked questions associated with this exercise – that’s where you come in! You can contribute to this section by offering your own questions, answers, or clarifications on this exercise. Ask or answer a question by clicking reply (reply) below.

If you’ve had an “aha” moment about the concepts, formatting, syntax, or anything else with this exercise, consider sharing those insights! Teaching others and answering their questions is one of the best ways to learn and stay sharp.

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

I am trying to go to the drama directory (cd …/drama/) but it doesn’t exist. When I list the directories it replies that only biopic and historical are in there, but hey, cd …/biopic/ evidentially doesn’t exist even though it just told me it did. Are my commands wrong? cd …drama/ and cd …historical/ cd …biopic/ ?

2 Likes

If it says only biopic and historical are in there, it means you are already inside drama based on the files tree:

If you want to go back one level and then enter to drama, this is the correct command to do it:

cd ../drama and not cd …drama/

I hope this helps.

How can I navigate one directory form drama/historical/ to drama with cp

So I copied cleopatra.txt to the historical/ directory. But when I then navigate to the historical directory and list all the files, it won’t recognize that the step is complete. Suggestions?

4 Likes

Hi, I have the same issue!

Hi Codeacademy,
I am facing the same issue.
I copied cleopatra.txt to the historical/ directory. But when I then navigate to the historical directory and list all the files, it won’t recognize that the step is complete.

1 Like

The same things happens to me, however i could “pass” with the following steps.

1.- Click on the button “Get Help”
2.- Solutions/Get code Solutions
3.- Click on "Give me the solutions to this exercise

i hope this help you!

Regards!

2 Likes

I too facing the same problem.Why those commands are not accessible?

Is there a way to reset this section?

Having the same issue now! And trying to get the solutions to the exercise doesn’t help!

If that’s the list its giving you then you are already in the correct directory. Don’t forget your pwd command to check your current working directory.

Hi, i’m stuck here to, i tried to do the slsvm’s solution but i have a small red button on the top right telling me “could not restore workspace” somebody already have that problem? It will help me a lot cause i’m stuck here for to long …

Hi I’m having the same issue too.

Hi – in the cp I exercise: Is step 4 necessary (cd up the file tree) to use the cp command in step 5?

Hello,

I did this on my own computer, cp filename1.txt filename2.txt and it worked great (unfortunately…). The data on file 1 got copied to file 2 and overwrote everything on file 2. I’m afraid I just deleted very important data. I have searched for the original file 2 but cant find it :frowning: I tried to restore to previous version but it wants me to tell where I have the backup which I obviously dont have (but undoubtedly would have had if I knew that this command would not just copy from A to B and keep what was already there, but actually overwrite B). I hope there is some way I can revert this. Can somebody please help me or am I screwed?
My first post here! A pleasure.
Code Wide

ls action comedy drama genres.txt cd drama
ls biopic historical ls
biopic historical
$

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-the-command-line/lessons/command-line-manipulation/exercises/cp-i

From what I can see from the instructions, entering ls was right. but it doesn’t work

the first part of the lesson is completely wrong pls review

1 Like

So many bugs! And I can’t even see where I went wrong by pressing get solution. Why am I giving CC my money?! CC hit me up if you need someone to sort out all these issues so we can use the resources…

1 Like

Clicking on Get code solution only passed me through the steps without any actual solution, very disappointing. :expressionless:

1 Like