FAQ: Making Visualizations in Tableau - Takeaways

This community-built FAQ covers the “Takeaways” exercise from the lesson “Making Visualizations in Tableau”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Data Scientist: Analytics Specialist

Learn Tableau for Data Visualization

FAQs on the exercise Takeaways

There are currently no frequently asked questions associated with this exercise – that’s where you come in! You can contribute to this section by offering your own questions, answers, or clarifications on this exercise. Ask or answer a question by clicking reply (reply) below.

If you’ve had an “aha” moment about the concepts, formatting, syntax, or anything else with this exercise, consider sharing those insights! Teaching others and answering their questions is one of the best ways to learn and stay sharp.

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!
You can also find further discussion and get answers to your questions over in #get-help.

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head to #get-help and #community:tips-and-resources. If you are wanting feedback or inspiration for a project, check out #project.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions in #community

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it online, or post in #community:Codecademy-Bug-Reporting

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

This is the closest topic I could find related to my question about the Airplane Wildlife Strikes section of the Final Project of this course. I wanted to ask about Emma’s text they added to their beautiful dashboard seen here: https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/codecademy/viz/LearnTableauforDV-FAAwildlifestrikes/roulettedashboard

The text has some summary stats in it that I appreciate, but I wanted to know why they put “94.7% ended up costing airlines and airports $0 in aircraft repairs. However, the remaining 5.3% of collisions account for over $100 billion of damage.” The percentages are great, those check out. I confirmed that by doing a count of all of the strikes that cost $0 (26800) and then divide by total (28298) the % is 94.7. However the remaining 5.3% do not sum to over $100B. I am summing Cost: Total $ and the number is only $322,160,887. Far less than 1 billion.

So where did this $100 Billion come from? I’m guessing it’s a very broad estimate coming from the other cost, “Cost: Aircraft Time out of service (hours)” Perhaps this number 248,276 hrs lost would equate to $100B ? That seems quite presumptuous to call it such a big $ loss though.

I would love to know why and how this number came about. Thank you!

(Please point me to a better place to discuss about this project too please, as I’m not finding anything)

Thank you!