FAQ: Linked Lists: Python - Linked List Implementation III

Hello peoples,

I don’t mean to sound critical of this lesson, I’m only trying to understand what is the point of it?
I do not have a computer science background, so I have absolutely no context into which to put this lesson.

Is there a broader concept this is trying to teach?

I feel like I’m missing the entire value of the exercise. I was able to complete it, but I gained no understanding from it. ( I learn best if I know the general context of what i’m supposed to use something for(what does this tool in the tool box do and how do I apply it.). I can hammer a square peg into a round hole with a spanner wrench, but it’s not a good idea, a good use of time; or a proper use of the tool.

“When one teaches, two learn” – I can’t remember who this quote is from

Nowadays, the linked list is a relatively esoteric data structure. You won’t really have much use for it unless you’re doing lower level programming. It’s usually used in contrast to an array(not to be confused with JS arrays which is equivalent to Python’s List). The data in an array has to be sitting next to each other in your system’s memory so it needs to have a set amount of memory allocated to it to fit the data. Linked lists on the other hand have pointers to the next data point which can be anywhere in system memory, so there doesn’t need to be any pre-allocated memory, it can grow or shrink with the data, which also makes it pretty efficient when adding/removing data. Why they’re teaching it here, it’s an important part of CS fundamentals. The knowledge learned here is important when working with more complex data structures and also opens more doors for what kind of projects you can work on in the future.

Whe you know that the file that you want to delete is b. You have to put None as b’s value for deleting the node so instead of havig:
a–>c you will have
a–>c<–b (bacause you alredy deleted the conection between a and b)