Codecademy Forums

FAQ: Learn Python: Syntax - Changing Numbers

This community-built FAQ covers the “Changing Numbers” exercise from the lesson “Learn Python: Syntax”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Computer Science
Data Science

FAQs on the exercise Changing Numbers

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

1 Like

I tried to type this:

quilt_width = 8
quilt_length = 12
print("total squares needed:" + quilt_width * quilt_length )

To show the value in the same line as the text without using 2 prints.

And I got the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "script.py", line 3, in <module>
    print("total squares needed:" + quilt_width * quilt_length )
TypeError: Can't convert 'int' object to str implicitly

I’m not sure what I did wrong. What is the correct syntax to achieve what I wanted?

Am I getting ahead of myself and this is something I will learn down the line?

quilt_width * quilt_length gives an integer (96). Trying to concatenate str + integer gives errors, as you can see in the error:

TypeError: Can't convert 'int' object to str implicitly
1 Like

Can you explain more please?

What’s the correct way to write it then?

Is using two prints the only way?

You use + to attempt string concatenation, but you don’t have two strings. Thus you get an error.

So either you will need to convert the integer to a string, so you can stick with your current approach (using +).

Or the must be another way to solve this, but i don’t know what you have learned. Have you learned string Formatting Operator? Or the string .format() method? Or the use of a comma?

1 Like

No, not yet.

I’m still at the very beginning of Python.

So far, I learner these things:

• Comments
  • Print
  • Strings
  • Variables
  • Errors
  • Numbers
  • Calculations
  • Changing Numbers

I will google the error I got and try to understand what happened, you already gave me some hints.

I guess I still lack the basics, I will understand what I did wrong after few more lessons.

Thank you for your time.

so you had string and numbers, that is good.

The problem is that using + to add number and string together, will result in a TypeError, you can add these two types together. these types don’t go together, just like certain things don’t go together.

you can use a comma (,) instead of a + to overcome your problem. I had no idea this exercises was so early in a course. Had i known, i would have simplified my answer. Sorry about that

2 Likes

This makes more sense to me now as a newbie hahaha

Thanks, I will try your solution and Google to learn more about it.

Thanks again.

6 days later, I understand the error I made.

I was trying to add a number to a string, like saying 8 + trees equals what? Which doesn’t make any sense logically.

I changed my syntax to since you mentioned a comma:

quilt_width = 8
quilt_length = 12
print("total squares needed:" , quilt_width * quilt_length )

And it worked just fine.

2 Likes

Found comma(,) function was useful. Thanks @stetim94

x = 1
y = 2
sum = x + y

print (sum)# I get 3 as expected

y = 3
print (sum)# Still get 3 while expecting 4

1 Like

Sum is variable which is already assigned with the sum of x and , so if you change the value of y also , the value of sum will not change . if you really want to change the value of sum then you can use the below program.

x = 1
y = 2

sum = x+y
print sum

y = 3
sum = x+y
print sum

1 Like

Remember that computer code is not algebra. the = symbol is not an “equals sign,” it is an assignment operator: it assigns the value on the right to the variable on the left, no more.

To do what you are thinking - to make sum continually update - you will need a sum() function: next lesson, I believe.

1 Like

Wanted to see what CodeAcademy would do if I added these as a string

quilt_width = 8
quilt_length = 8
print('quilt_width * quilt_length')

Which obviously is incorrect, but Step 1 marked it as correct.
This should be resolved and notify the user they cant print it as a string, but two separate int variables.

1 Like

Cheers, will pass this on.

With all do respect I didn’t understand the meaning of this exercise at all,
can someone please explain me?

You need to learn to do math with integers and variables. Its fundamental. What is it you don’t understand? Explaining what you don’t understand, helps us to give you a better and more precise answer

Ok, I will respond to it later tonight

‫בתאריך יום ב׳, 12 באוג׳ 2019 ב-19:58 מאת ‪Stetim94 via Codecademy Forums‬‏ <‪codecademy@discoursemail.com‬‏>:‬

The question probably has to get re-written, unless the goal is to have folks come to this forum to look for the answer.

according to the question, print( quilt_width * quilt_length) should have been an acceptable answer, and it isnt

And if i might add, ii say - rename it from square to rectangle. Squares are of equal sides