FAQ: Learn Python: Student Becomes the Teacher - Lesson Number One

This community-built FAQ covers the “Lesson Number One” exercise in Codecademy’s lessons on Python.

FAQs for the Codecademy Python exercise Lesson Number One:

Join the Discussion. We Want to Hear From You!

Have a new question or can answer someone else’s? Reply (reply) to an existing thread!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources about Python in general? Go here!

Want to take the conversation in a totally different direction? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account, billing, Pro, or Pro Intensive? Reach out to our support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

Other FAQs

The following are links to additional questions that our community has asked about this exercise:

• This list will contain other frequently asked questions that aren’t quite as popular as the ones above.
  • Currently there have not been enough questions asked and answered about this exercise to populate this FAQ section.
  • This FAQ is built and maintained by you, the Codecademy community – help yourself and other learners like you by contributing!

Not seeing your question? It may still have been asked before – try (search) in the top-right of this page. Still can’t find it? Ask it below by hitting the reply button below this post (reply).

Instructions in this exercise is poorly worded.

3 Likes

Not sure what happened here? exercise was done correctly but threw up a syntax error?

Almost correctly, I was going mad with this exercise. Then I had to get the solution. Im not sure what it was but I was missing the empty brackets. That still doesn’t explains why “homework” is incorrect. You should delete the last commas from tests and then it should be alright.

True, I didn’t know that I should write all their names. I might have an OCD with wordings but it should have said:

" Have the “name” key be the name of EACH students (LIKE, lloyd ‘s name should be "Lloyd" ) and the other keys should be an empty list (We’ll fill in these lists soon!)

or something like this. It confused me few times to the point I wanted to put my keyboard through my screen… :frowning:

2 Likes

The reason why a syntax error is thrown in the post by @samuelmacintyre92642 that you replied to is due to a missing comma. If you omit the indenation it is more obvious.

lloyd = {"name": "Lloyd""homework": []}
This should be
lloyd = {"name": "Lloyd", "homework": []}

Ideally the trailing commas after the values for ‘tests’ are supplied shoud be removed too.
tests: [],

See answer 2. from this FAQ-

1 Like

lloyd={“name”:“Lloyd”,
“homework”:,
“quizzes”:,
“tests”:
}

alice={“name”:“Alice”,
“tests”:
}

tyler={“name”:“Tyler”,
“tests”:
}

Double check your comma placement.

The explanation of question is too cursory that reader can’t understand what format should be in values on keys except ‘Name’.

i was very confused with the instruction and after trying for 15-20 mins i decided to view the solutions. I thought it was just me who didn’t understand the instruction!

Hi - Can someone help me understand why it keeps throwing off error? It says that: your code threw a “global name ‘lloyd’ is not defined error”. I don’t quite understand what’s wrong with my code. Thank you!

Check the spelling of your three global objects’ names. Suggest change to lowercase.

Hello - thanks for the advice. I changed everything to lower case and now getting another error instead:
“The name key does not have the value “Lloyd” in your lloyd dictionary”

I thought the instruction was to have the name key with the student name’s first letter to be capitalized. I really hate this exercise. very confusing.

i figured it out and have updated the code to make the name key in the curly bracket in capital for the first letter. Thanks!

1 Like

You’re welcome. Good job!

I agree. The instruction is poorly worded and I have no idea this is their requirement for the ‘name’ key. They could have made the instructions easier to be understood.