FAQ: Learn Python – Python Syntax – Review

This community-built FAQ covers the “Review” exercise in Codecademy’s lessons on Python Syntax.

FAQs for the Codecademy Python syntax exercise Review

Join the Discussion. We Want to Hear From You!

Have a new question or can answer someone else’s? Reply (reply) to an existing thread!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources about Python in general? Go here!

Want to take the conversation in a totally different direction? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account, billing, Pro, or Pro Intensive? Reach out to our support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

Other FAQs

The following are links to additional questions that our community has asked about this exercise:

Not seeing your question? It may still have been asked before – try searching for it by clicking the spyglass icon (search) in the top-right of this page. Still can’t find it? Ask it below by hitting the reply button below this post (reply).

2 posts were split to a new topic: Why Am I Not Being Passed?

2 posts were split to a new topic: Why Does It Use This Syntax For Printing?

2 posts were split to a new topic: Is 165 the Correct Result?

A post was split to a new topic: Concat string

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Concat string

A post was split to a new topic: Do I need spaces around multiply in python?

Hi, in lesson one, part 14 (review), I was asked to enter a comment: The amount of points for each exercise may change, because points don’t exist yet.

I did it like that: I put # and after it a space and then teh comment.

and the program said there was a mistake, I don’t know why. After that, I entered the comment without a space after #:
#The amount of points for each exercise may change, because points don’t exist yet

and then it was correct. Could someone explain it to me why? Why was the comment with space after # considered wrong? I thought it didn’t matter whether we use a space or not. I checked it in other Python 2 and Python 3 online compilers and it didn’t matter if I used a space after # or not so was was this an issue in the review section?

maybe strict validation from the lesson? normally a space is fine

1 Like
  1. Update point_total to be what it was before plus the result of multiplying exercises_completed and points_per_exercise .

This makes no sense to me. The previous request was to create the variable ‘point_total’ and set it equal to 100 so I don’t what understand what they mean by “Update ‘point_total’ to be what it was before”. I also don’t know what they mean by “plus the result of multiplying ‘exercises_completed’ and ‘points_per_exercise’.” Normally when I can’t understand a question I look at the solution and try to figure out what the question meant but there is no option for that in the review. The fourth request is either extremely poorly written or I’m missing something here.

3 Likes

Hi all, i was wondering if there was any difference between the inputs

s1 = “I got " + str(point_total) + " points!”
print s1

and

print(“I got “+str(point_total)+” points!”)

they both come out as
I got 165.0 points!
But the Learn Python 2 program only accepts the second line of code. Could anybody be telling me something I might be missing?

This one was very tricky to resolved! The part i believe we all got confused --> Update point_total to be what it was before plus the result of multiplying exercises_completed and points_per_exercise<- this right here! In others words they are asking to go beyond your learnings which is good! just create another variable and store the multiplying and then use + to add to the point_total. thats the key to solve the problem,

i hope i was able to help someone!

Why i should not use int(point_total) in place of str(point_total) in the following statement?
print “I got " + str(point_total) + " points!”

please someone clarify??

"I got " and " points!" are strings, whereas the value assigned to the point_total variable is a number.
We can’t concatenate (join) a string and a number.

str(point_total) converts the value to a string. This allows us to concatenate the three strings.

A bit later in the course, a lesson titled Explicit String Conversion (in the Strings and Console Output module) briefly goes over this concept.