FAQ: Learn Python: Function Arguments - None: It's Nothing!

This community-built FAQ covers the “None: It’s Nothing!” exercise from the lesson “Learn Python: Function Arguments”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Learn Python 3

FAQs on the exercise None: It’s Nothing!

There are currently no frequently asked questions associated with this exercise – that’s where you come in! You can contribute to this section by offering your own questions, answers, or clarifications on this exercise. Ask or answer a question by clicking reply (reply) below.

If you’ve had an “aha” moment about the concepts, formatting, syntax, or anything else with this exercise, consider sharing those insights! Teaching others and answering their questions is one of the best ways to learn and stay sharp.

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

I have a question about “None”. This exercise says
" None is a special value in Python. It is unique (there can’t be two different None s) and immutable (you can’t update None or assign new attributes to it)."

So I thought it would be error

#sample code
aa = None
print(aa)
aa = “something”
print(aa)

#end of code
When I ran codes, The result was

None
something

I didn’t get error and I thought I did assign new attributes to “aa” which was “None”.

Why is None immutable ?

2 Likes

You didn’t update None (a value), you updated aa (a variable). Assignment goes from right to left across the assignment operator, =. (Some people like to indicate assignment in pseudocode with a left-pointing arrow to emphasize this.)

When you use =, you are assigning (some say binding) the value on the right to the variable on the left. You can do that as often as you’d like to.

What you cannot do is
None = any_value # This will raise a “cannot assign to a keyword” Syntax Error

You are not surprised by the result below, are you? It is the same thing.

a = 10  # An int is unique, immutable, and you cannot assign any attributes to it.
print(a)
a = 20
print(a)

Output:

2 Likes

All primitives are immutable since they are not objects. @patrickd314 (if I recall) posted a really good link a while back on this topic. Search the forums and it should come up.

1 Like

It wasn’t me. Some objects are immutable, many not, but none are “primitive”.

From the docs,

Objects are Python’s abstraction for data. All data in a Python program is represented by objects or by relations between objects

You’ll see references to “primitives” in Python here and there on the web, but those are simply references to those data types which are immutable and which are not containers. In the docs, if you search for the word “primitive”, you’ll get no hits defining a data type, certainly not one that is not an object. I believe that the old saw, “In Python, everything is an object” is true.

It is my understanding (not firsthand) that the “primitive” vs “object” distinction is important in Java, but it is not so in Python.

2 Likes

Roving from language to language there is a lot of blurring of the lines. This topic (primitives) really needs a definitive guide with tables that describes how different languages treat it.

I won’t attempt to argue that what is stated about Python, where everything is an object, is fact. But I run into confusion when I see something like this…

>>> type(1)
<type 'int'>
>>> isinstance(1, int)
True
>>> type(None)
<type 'NoneType'>
>>> isinstance(None, NoneType)

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#9>", line 1, in <module>
    isinstance(None, NoneType)
NameError: name 'NoneType' is not defined
>>> 
2 Likes

I could not agree more!

Yes, it appears that None’s status as a singleton means that NoneType is not available in the global namespace. I don’t really understand the reason. Majority opinion seems to be that the only way one should test for None is by means of is.

2 Likes

Oh I see. Thank you for your good explanation.

1 Like

As in,

def foo():
    pass
print (foo() is None)

or,

def bar(x):
    return 1 if x > 0 else -1 if x < 0
print (bar(0) is None)

Yeah, I know, this is silliness…

1 Like

As clear as can be . thanks