FAQ: Learn Python - Conditionals & Control Flow - Not

This community-built FAQ covers the “Not” exercise in Codecademy’s lessons on Python.

FAQs for the Codecademy Python exercise Not:

Join the Discussion. We Want to Hear From You!

Have a new question or can answer someone else’s? Reply (reply) to an existing thread!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources about Python in general? Go here!

Want to take the conversation in a totally different direction? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account, billing, Pro, or Pro Intensive? Reach out to our support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

Please can you tell me why bool three is TRUE ??

1 Like

I am also confused by boolean 3:
If 10/3 <= 10/2 (which it is!) then that is True, so the not would make the answer “False”, I have clearly misunderstood some fundamental early on, I think!

3 Likes

Boolean 3 evaluates the comparison of the remainders of two divisions, not the quotient. Thus, the remainder of 10/3 (which is 1) is > the remainder of 10/2 (which is 0). Hence, the expression evaluates to False, and not 1 <= 0 is True.

2 Likes

Please explain me boolean 5
not not False

Bool_four seems like it should resolve to “False” but the checker requires you to put “True” to complete the lesson.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the question but:

not 3 ** 2 + 4 ** 2 != 5 ** 2
not 6 + 8 != 10
not 14 != 10
not True
False

Any insight why this would not be the case? Thanks!

2 Likes

If you simplify the equation, not “not false”, “not false” becomes true. So now it reads “not true” which we know is now False. So boolean 5 = False. The nots essentially cancel each other out.

Either #5 is wrong, or the rest are wrong

Not false = true
not (not false) = false (not (true) = false)

therefore the answer should be not True aka (False)

Your problem is that ** (two asterisks rather than one) does not mean multiplication, it means raise the number to a higher power. 3 ** 2 is three squared, for example. Bearing that in mind, the process for solving the problem you posted should be fixed to this:
not 3 ** 2 + 4 ** 2 != 5**2
not 9 + 16 != 25
not 25 != 25
not False
True

I hope this helps!

1 Like