FAQ: Learn Python: Classes - Methods with Arguments

This community-built FAQ covers the “Methods with Arguments” exercise from the lesson “Learn Python: Classes”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Computer Science

FAQs on the exercise Methods with Arguments

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: What is the difference between calling a variable with self or the ClassName?

A post was split to a new topic: When are classes defined with parenthesis?

3 posts were split to a new topic: What is the difference between calling a variable with self or the ClassName?

Two questions here:

1. Can a class be thought of as a library and the method as the portion of the module you wish to import?

2. Is it best practice to save the class in a variable like class = Class() before calling methods or is it a matter of preference as the two scripts below yield the same answer.

circle = Circle()
pizza_area = circle.area(6)

or

pizza_area = Circle().area(6)

1 Like

Hi, I have a question regarding variables in a class.

In this exercise there was the following code:

class Circle():
pi=3.14
def area(self, radius):
return Circle().pi*radius**2

Why can’t you call pi straight away. It’s a variable that has already been defined within the scope of the class. At least, that is what I assumed. Why do you need to call the variable with self or ClassName?

4 Likes

in this exercise, we can use a dictionary and I find it easier than classes which I really didn’t know the role of using this complicated method:

raduis = {“pizza_raduis”:12,“table_raduis”:36,“room_raduis”:11460}
for i in raduis.values():
area = 3.14*(i/2)**2
print(area)

A lot of these exercises are just to get you used to working with classes in general. Whilst you could “solve” a particular requirement without them and kudos for doing so it’s best to try and follow the guidance even if it takes longer to understand/type out because it’s just an introduction to the topic but it is most definitely worth learning.

1 Like

Why do you need the self parameter, what does it do?

Ok let’s step back for a second. A class is a template for creating objects. Think of it like a blueprint for making houses. We would then say each house is an object, or instance of the class.

So the word self just refers to a specific house, i.e a specific object in our scenario. Try reading it as “this specific house itSELF”. The word self is a convention in Python, though it can technically be any word you want. To illustrate with code:

class Blueprint:
    def __init__(self, name):
        self.name = name

house_one = Blueprint('first house')

house_two = Blueprint('second house')

So here we have our class, BluePrint. We have also created two objects from it. So when we’re creating house_one, the parameter self refers to house_one itSELF. So it’s saying "hey, let’s give the object or instance being created a name to itSELF. That name being the argument passed into the parantheses (‘first house’ in this case). Then when we make the second object, self refers to house_two and follows the same process.

Note: The reason why the __init__ method has two parameters whereas we only pass one argument when we create the object is because self is actually passed in but implicitly. So basically you might think ‘first house’ was the first argument passed in the parantheses but it was actually self under the hood. Python just does that for us automatically

Hope that makes sense. Feel free to ask if anything is unclear