FAQ: Learn Python: A Day at the Supermarket - Keeping Track of the Produce

faq

This community-built FAQ covers the “Keeping Track of the Produce” exercise in Codecademy’s lessons on Python.

FAQs for the Codecademy Python exercise Keeping Track of the Produce:

Join the Discussion. We Want to Hear From You!

Have a new question or can answer someone else’s? Reply (reply) to an existing thread!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources about Python in general? Go here!

Want to take the conversation in a totally different direction? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account, billing, Pro, or Pro Intensive? Reach out to our support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

Other FAQs

The following are links to additional questions that our community has asked about this exercise:

There are not enough solved FAQs about this question yet. Please contribute to this guide by replying below!

Not seeing your question? It may still have been asked before – try (search) in the top-right of this page. Still can’t find it? Ask it below by hitting the reply button below this post (reply).

split this topic #4

2 posts were split to a new topic: What does %s and % do

split this topic #5

2 posts were split to a new topic: Dictionary order

split this topic #6

3 posts were split to a new topic: How Does This Work?

split this topic #7

2 posts were split to a new topic: Why don’t we need to wrap stock[key] or prices[key] in str()?

Why don’t we need to wrap stock[key] or prices[key] in str()?
split this topic #8

2 posts were split to a new topic: Am getting an error about the the “Orange key”

In writing the following code:

prices = {“banana”: 4,“apple”: 2,“orange”: 1.5,“pear”: 3}

stock = {“banana”: 6, “apple”: 0, “orange”: 32, “pear”: 15}

for food in prices:
print food
print “price: %s” % prices[food]
print “stock: %s” % stock[food]

How was I supposed to know that “apple” was categorized and can be called with the term “food”? There is no indication that this is how the info was stored.

2 Likes

I totally agree,
My code was like this
prices ={“banana”:4,“apple”:2,“orange”:1.5,“pear”:3}
stock = {“banana”:6,“apple”:0,“orange”:32,“pear”:15}
for key in prices:
print key
print “price: %s” % prices[key]
print “stock: %s” % stock[key]
And it worked, yet it gave me the exercise as failed.

so this was what i used to get the “print EXACTLY the following format” format, but it marked it as fail

and when i hit solution, it gave a format of

apples
price:
stock:

which isn’t in the EMPHASIZED IN CAPS exact format as listed in the instructions. Should fix your instructions to reflect the answer or fix your answer to reflect the instructions

10 Likes

Still Broken i had the same exact code as the solution and still gave me a fail

1 Like

Where is the variable ‘food’ coming from in this exercise? It seems like it appears without definition.
thanks

It exists only in the function as the declared formal parameter. That parameter accepts any list passed to the function as a call argument. We pass in shopping_list which is referred to by the parameter name within the function. It is still referring to the same data structure, just by a different local name.