FAQ: Learn HTML - Tables - Spanning Columns

This community-built FAQ covers the “Spanning Columns” exercise in Codecademy’s lessons on HTML.

Here are the most popular community questions on this exercise:

Join the Discussion. We Want to Hear From You!

Have a new question or can answer someone else’s? Reply (reply) to an existing thread!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources about HTML in general? Go here!

Want to take the conversation in a totally different direction? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account, billing, Pro, or Pro Intensive? Reach out to our support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

Other FAQs

The following are links to additional questions that our community has asked about this exercise:

• This list will contain other frequently asked questions that aren’t quite as popular as the ones above.
  • Currently there have not been enough questions asked and answered about this exercise to populate this FAQ section.
  • This FAQ is built and maintained by you, the Codecademy community – help yourself and other learners like you by contributing!

Not seeing your question? It may still have been asked before – try searching for it by clicking the spyglass icon (search) in the top-right of this page. Still can’t find it? Ask it below by hitting the reply button below this post (reply).

One of the most difficult problems with your exercises is where/what location. This one says find a td element, OK. Lots of td/tr/ etc. Could you please put in an approximate location using line numbers. I took a Fortran course at Stanislaus State Collage in 1973 and we had punch cards and fan fold paper with line numbers. Looking for a td/tr and others in 50 lines of code is not fun. in a 1000 lines of code impossible. Line numbers have a reason, please use them. The other option is comments. I have not seen any comments in any of your codes that describe a place to be or a place to go to or the reason why. Comments are the most important part of coding both for now and changes in the future. The same rules that apply to us ( the student ) should be used by you, the instructor.

You have td elements at
line 38
and no comments anywhere

The instructions for this task are rather esoteric and could be more helpful.

I.e.

" In index.html, span a <td> element across two columns." ----> Where?

Also the ‘Hint’ is rather blasé:

“The formatting doesn’t look so good. Feel free to delete the colspan attribute and value from the <td> element you added them to.” ----> what is this referring to? Is it suggesting we follow the instructions and then delete the colspan element? If so, why are we instructed to do this to begin with, and why are the instructions to undo this work hidden within the hint?

2 Likes

Did you figure it out? I have no clue where to put it…Which columns? What value? “2” like in the example?

1 Like

I didn’t get this assignment either. Is it possible to contact instructors?

Answer:

Below:

<table> <tr> <th scope='col'>Company Name</th> <th scope='col'>Number of Items to Ship</th> <th scope='col'>Next Action</th> </tr>

I inputed on lines 25-28:

<tr> <td colspan="2">Adam's Greenworks</td> <td>Package Items</td> </tr>

It extended the Adam’s Greenworks company name through the number of items column like I thought it would, but it just doesn’t make any sense to do that. Assignment passed, however.

1 Like