FAQ: Learn HTML - Intro to HTML - Styling Text

This community-built FAQ covers the “Styling Text” exercise in Codecademy’s lessons on HTML.

FAQs on the HTML exercise Styling Text

Join the Discussion. We Want to Hear From You!

Have a new question or can answer someone else’s? Reply (reply) to an existing thread!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources about HTML in general? Go here!

Want to take the conversation in a totally different direction? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account, billing, Pro, or Pro Intensive? Reach out to our support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

Other FAQs

The following are links to additional questions that our community has asked about this exercise:

Not seeing your question? It may still have been asked before – try searching for it by clicking the spyglass icon (search) in the top-right of this page. Still can’t find it? Ask it below by hitting the reply button below this post (reply).

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Can <i> be used instead of <em>?

In which situations should we use <em> or <strong> tags? The exercise says <em> is for emphasizing text while <strong> is for highlighting essential text. It’s practically the same, right?

Two similar questions: one – per each instruction (of two).

Instruction № 1

Quote:

The brown bear (<em>Ursus arctos</em>) …

Question:

Why – should the «parentheses» – be on the out-side, of <em> … </em>?

So, the result – is № «1» (not «2»):

1. The brown bear (Ursus arctos) …

2. The brown bear (Ursus arctos)

Instruction № 2

Quote:

… is currently <strong>Least Concern</strong>.

Question:

Why – should the «dot» – be on the out-side, of <strong> … </strong>?

So, the result – is № «1» (not «2»):

1. … is currently Least Concern.

2. … is currently Least Concern.

1 Like

You use these awesome fonts and textures in such a

• manner
    I cannot describe.

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

What is the advantage of changing the style of the content using the em and strong tags within the HTML document, rather than making those changes as part of a CSS file?

I was thinking that CSS was used to change the style of the content and that HTML was used to present the bare-bones content of the webpage.

What’s the point of using these tags in HTML when there’s a whole system used to change a page’s style?

Thanks!

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Can <i> be used instead of <em>?

Is there a way to save my progress if I am in the middle of a lesson but need to leave the lesson?

Hi, if we want to style a text to make it italic and bold at the same time,
which tag we should write firstly, the em or the strong ?

I believe em and strong deliver a sense of importance to the browser, which CSS cannot convey in the same manner.