FAQ: Learn HTML - Intro to HTML - The Body

This community-built FAQ covers the The Body exercise in Codecademy’s lessons on HTML.

Here are the most popular community questions on this exercise:

Join the Discussion. We Want to Hear From You!

Have a new question or can answer someone else’s? Reply (reply) to an existing thread!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources about HTML in general? Go here!

Want to take the conversation in a totally different direction? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account, billing, Pro, or Pro Intensive? Reach out to our support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

Other FAQs

The following are links to additional questions that our community has asked about this exercise:

Not seeing your question? It may still have been asked before – try searching for it by clicking the spyglass icon (search) in the top-right of this page. Still can’t find it? Ask it below by hitting the reply button below this post (reply).

2 posts were split to a new topic: Is there any use for the space outside the Body tags?

3 posts were split to a new topic: Why does content outside the body still display?

A post was split to a new topic: Question: Body is for opening and closing?

A post was split to a new topic: Should I use the

tag?

5 posts were split to a new topic: I added but the lesson didn’t pass?

6 posts were split to a new topic: Unconfirmed bug reports in Learn HTML - The Body

What is the difference between the element <p>instruction</p> and the body <body>information</p> in terms of purpose or use?

1 Like

Note that the endtag needs to match the opentag. BODY is unique; that is there can be only one body element, the container of all the content we will see on the webpage. P is a paragraph element which may occur multiple times in the BODY or any other container element.

<html>
<head>
<!-- metadata in here -->
</head>
<body>
<!-- All content in here -->
</body>
</html>
1 Like

What is the difference between:

<body>Goood Mornin, Vietnam!!!</body>
<p>"Life is very short and what we have to do must be done in the now." - Audre Lorde</p>

and

<body><p>Goood Mornin, Vietnam!!!</p><p>"Life is very short and what we have to do must be done in the now." - Audre Lorde</p></body>

I don’t understand if one is coded wrong or if the <p> and </p> need to be between the <body> </body> each time

Every relating to content must be contained in the BODY element. P outside of BODY is invalid and malformed.

There is only one BODY element in a document.

<body>
<!-- 

All content in here

-->
</body>
2 Likes

can i type whatever i want inside < > as oppening and ending tags
or there are specific ones such as body and p

1 Like

… that are recognized by browsers so that default styles exist.

HTML is a living language. The meaning of that can be elusive. It actually does mean that anything can be written between the carats and be a valid tag. It goes right back to XML where we’re not marking up content, but data. If we determine that a <species> element is useful for describing data there is nothing stopping us in HTML specs. We can simply create that element. We might have to tell the DOM that, but that is another story. You are not that far off in your thinking.

Bottom line, elements that are already written into the specs are the ones to use. Some have both OPENTAG and ENDTAG, and others have only VOIDTAG that have no content, such as IMG or INPUT. While we are free to create new tags, it is not something we need to engage in at this point.

3 Likes

What is the use of paragraph inside the body if whatever I write in the body appears anyways?

how at add files or images in BODY

1 Like

Why won’t the window let me type the open tag (<)? It just shows an orange highlight. I’m stuck and can’t move on.

1 Like

Hey @nerdryantaylor welcome to the forums.

Can we have some screenshots and and a link to the lesion/project this is happening on.

I contacted support. They say it’s a known bug. I don’t understand how this application will have a known bug on the basic HTML step 2 course and not fix it.

1 Like

The paragraph element (<p>) is a block element that also has top and bottom margins (you’ll learn about these later in the course and in the CSS course). Also, it’s easier to select and modify content or text contained in a <p> element using CSS code, especially for more complex webpages.