FAQ: Learn HTML - Intro to HTML - Unordered Lists

This community-built FAQ covers the “Unordered Lists” exercise in Codecademy’s lessons on HTML.

Here are the most popular community questions on this exercise:

Join the Discussion. We Want to Hear From You!

Have a new question or can answer someone else’s? Reply (reply) to an existing thread!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources about HTML in general? Go here!

Want to take the conversation in a totally different direction? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account, billing, Pro, or Pro Intensive? Reach out to our support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

Other FAQs

The following are links to additional questions that our community has asked about this exercise:

Not seeing your question? It may still have been asked before – try searching for it by clicking the spyglass icon (search) in the top-right of this page. Still can’t find it? Ask it below by hitting the reply button below this post (reply).

4 posts were split to a new topic: What happens if I directly add the li without adding the ul

A post was split to a new topic: Rendering using a loop

Hello, I am having an issue here. I have entered the UL code exactly as it is in the example but when I press “Run” it says “no response received fro the web browser” and marks the task box with a red X instead of the green check. Could someone take a look at this and see what I have done wrong?

do we always need to tag an unordered list with <li> no matter how much the list is?

LI stands for List Item, and by definition a list will have multiple items, usually three or more. We denote them with the <li/> tag so the browser can render them as bullet points, or at the very least as separate related items that user agents can identify.

Let’s step back in time, before Web Standards came into vogue. It was common to see the following in scaled down markup,

<a href="#>Home</a> <a href="#">About</a> <a href="#">Contact</a>

which would render as,

Home About Contact

Then the early standards recommended at least one printable character between each link to set them apart from one another.

Home | About | Contact

or

Home • About • Contact

Once we had CSS, it was no major leap to implement unordered lists in navigation menus. That took all the guess work out for the user agent. New list item, new link. It also spelled the death knell for table based layouts.

If the browser itself gives you an error, try refreshing the page. Your code looks fine.

1 Like

The page tells you to make an unordered list tag and to not add anything to it yet. But, when I click run, after having added an unordered list with nothing added to it, it doesn’t let me continue on. I try doing the second step, even though I shouldn’t be able to after not having completed the first step, and it still doesn’t let me continue on. My code is the exact same as the “replace with solution”, but it doesn’t work! Literally the only way to continue on is to click the light bulb and use replace with solution. I had the same problem with the next part of the course (13/16) so I assume the rest of the course is like this.
Fix this!

Oh really. I did not have this issues.

Step one is to add an unordered list with nothing in it which is

That should run fine with no error

Step 2 is to add the following list Arctos Collarus, Horribilis, Nelsoni (extinct) which should look like this

This should run fine too and allow you to click next. Do ensure the unorder list tag has a closing tag and the list tag has 2 space indentation and a closing tag around each list too.