FAQ: Learn HTML - Intro to HTML - HTML Structure

Other FAQs

The following are links to additional questions that our community has asked about this exercise:

Not seeing your question? It may still have been asked before – try searching for it by clicking the spyglass icon (search) in the top-right of this page. Still can’t find it? Ask it below by hitting the reply button below this post (reply).

A post was split to a new topic: Should we include the html tag?

The first instruction says to “Add the paragraph below as a child of the body element.” I did this, above the

element, not within the
element. It shows that this is incorrect and that I should have done it under the
element … but then that would make my

a grandchild, not a child, of the element. In the HTML structure explanation, I thought when it was mentioned “In this example, the element is the parent of the

element. Both the

and

elements are children of the

element” that it was optional. Does this mean that this is always the case, or just in the example they gave?
1 Like

Wow - what happened to my reply?

You included formatting information in your post, and the forums display them accordingly. See more information here.

A post was split to a new topic: Can I have more than one div?

2 posts were split to a new topic: What does <div> mean?

Ok, so while I was easilly able to follow the instructions, but as an experiment, I put the following code for use:
<body
Hewwo World
</body
Now, the problem here is that since the <> brackets (would be very grateful if someone tells me what they’re called in programming languages) are not yet closed, then the browser shouldn’t be able to identify it as a proper tag and shouldn’t the whole code be displayed by the browser? But here, literally nothing is being shown, I tried the same with notepad and chrome too…same results :confused: . Any help would be appreciated :}
Note: I know I am not so smart so if i am missing something very obvious please forgive me ;-;

Left and right carat. As entities they are known by, &lt; and &gt; as in less than and greater than.

Collectively, left carat + element type + right carat make up a tag.

OPENTAG    ENDTAG
 <body>    </body>

which together form an element.

Browsers are actually quite forgiving and try their best to render the document. They might recognize the incomplete tags and autocomplete. Not the sort of HTML we want facing the web, though. It should always be validated and well formed.

Oh! Thank you so much! All of that knowledge was quite helpful :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It seems that the program will work by simply typing text as content to the tag or the

tags, without the

tags. Is that correct? Why use the

tags then?

oops, it didn’t include the tags I typed.

I meant: It seems that the program will work by simply typing text as content to the div or body tags (ie without using the p tags). If so, why use the p tags?

Understanding structure of “html” nav. (for some reason my code never displays when I wrap it in ‘’’)

Am I correct in my thinking that the structure of a web page with a navigation list is simply a list of links to other web pages?

This might look like the root folder, with your first html page (or title page if you like) with the navigation links to multiple “sub” folders inside the root folder that each contain their own html pages and possibly links/pictures/videos/sub folders etc?

1 Like

Yes, that is correct. The pages may all be in the same folder or in folders of their own.

https://www.example.com/

The above has an index.html page on its site root that is commonly known as the home page. The web domain URL is enough to reach that.

Once we are on the site root, the local navigation ignores the web URL and uses relative URLs.

If index.html is the site rool, then so is, / if referenced in a page. However, that only applies on the site root if a web hosted site. In most cases we will encounter in the meantime we do not have a site root that is the bottom of the WWW volume. That includes on own local machine. Our files are not stored on the volume root, C: but in our Documents folder.

This is where relative addressing comes in.

local_site_root/
+  css/
+  images/
+  js/
-  index.html
-  about.html
-  contact.html
-  gallery.html
-  projects.html

All of the pages are in the same folder as the home page so may be referred with,

<nav class="site"><ul>
  <li><a href="about.html">About Us</a></li>
  <li><!-- ... --></li>
</ul></nav>
1 Like

Thank you mtf, that was my understanding, I’m glad I am on the right track. Ok, discovered why my code wasn’t displaying. I was trying to enter the code directly into this text box, when I encapsulated my code in my terminal with the ‘’’ ‘’’ and copy and pasted the code into the forum text box, it displays correctly.
eg.
‘’’

<ul>

<li><a href="\Training\Integral\WaH">Work at Heights</a></li>

<li><a href="\Training\Integral\E&W CS">Enter and Work in Confined Space</a></li>

<li><a href="\Training\Integral\GTA">Gas Test Atmospheres</a></li>

<li><a href="\Training\Yellow Card">Yellow Card</a></li>

<li><a href="\Training\Integral\EWP">Operate an EWP 11m or More</a></li>

<li><a href="\Training\Integral\LF">Operate Forklift Truck</a></li>

<li><a href="\Training\Integral\DG">Dogging</a></li>

<li><a href="\Training\Integral\RB">Basic Rigging</a></li>

<li>Intermediate Rigging</li>

<li><a href="D:\Training\Integral\SB">Basic Scaffolding</a></li>

<li><a href="D:\Training\Integral\SI">Intermediate Scaffolding</a></li>

<li><a href="D:\Training\Integral\SA">Advanced Scaffolding</a></li>

<li>Operate a CB Gantry Crane</li>

<li>Operate a Slew Crane 60 Tonne</li>

</ul>

</nav>'''
1 Like

Remember, that URL points to the Volume Root, and furthermore is not written to HTTP requirements which uses the forward slash. Better to use relative addressing centered around your site root (home page).

<a href="training/integral/wah.html">Work at Heights</a>

Gotta take a call so must cut this short.

1 Like

Hello, I am new here and I want some help.
Please, my codecademy code editor display page is not showing the results of my codes .
What could be wrong?

Is there a white screen on the right side (the browser window)?

Yes sir, there is a white screen on the right side (the browser window) but it’s not displaying the results of my codes

Is this similar to your HTML?

<body>
  <h1>Hello World</h1>
  <div>
    <p>This paragraph is a child of the div element and a grandchild of the body element</p>
  </div>  
</body>

Have you clicked the Run button?

1 Like