FAQ: Learn HTML – Intro to HTML – Displaying Text

This community-built FAQ covers the “Displaying Text” exercise in Codecademy’s lessons on HTML.

FAQs on the HTML exercise Displaying Text

Join the Discussion. We Want to Hear From You!

Have a new question or can answer someone else’s? Reply (reply) to an existing thread!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources about HTML in general? Go here!

Want to take the conversation in a totally different direction? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account, billing, Pro, or Pro Intensive? Reach out to our support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

1 Like

Other FAQs

The following are links to additional questions that our community has asked about this exercise:

Not seeing your question? It may still have been asked before – try searching for it by clicking the spyglass icon (search) in the top-right of this page. Still can’t find it? Ask it below by hitting the reply button below this post (reply).

1 Like

What does “$expect is not defined” mean?
It appears everytime I answer the first question and my answer is always wrong, even if I followed all instructions. I have no idea what is going wrong here.

3 posts were split to a new topic: What exactly is span used for?

How do I indent the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. rows of the paragraphs? I can simply press tab or add spaces for each rows but I’m sure this is not the right way to do it.

For e.g. in Microsoft word or Outlook emails, when I press tab to create an indent, the whole paragraph gets indented.

2 Likes

The Brown Bear

About Brown Bears

"The brown bear (Ursus arctos) is native to parts of northern Eurasia and North America. Its conservation status is currently Least Concern. There are many subspecies within the brown bear species, including the Atlas bear and the Himalayan brown bear."

Species

Features

Habitat

Countries with Large Brown Bear Populations

Countries with Small Brown Bear Populations

Media

This is the error I get with the above code: “Did you add the given text inside your <p></p> tag?”

3 Likes

So you want to make the paragraph’s rows a little bit to the right:

Hello, and welcome on the forums, could you click image this icon on a new line, and write the code inside these ``` tags, because we can’t see it (because on the forums some HTML tags appear like on a website)

I think what you want is a hanging indent.

Try adding this attribute to the element: style="padding-left: 20px;text-indent:-20px".

If that doesn’t work, check out what this article says.

1 Like

Ok , so a completely off-topic question here(Sorry ;-; )
I just realized that if I don’t use the tags, it does not affect the program at all! Any idea why is it like this? I should have learnt things thoroughly in the beginning itself UwU ;-;

1 Like

Do you mean the HTML tags like:

<h1>Hello</h1>

?

1 Like

I see that the “ ” quotation mark is not recognized in

element.
Why is that?
<p>“Brown bears are not always completely brown. ” </p>

would screen only the letters. the quotations mark is not shown on the screen.
why is that???

same probs here, i already reload my browser, rewrite the code but still notifications like this… “Did you add the given text inside your <p></p> tag?” appears every time i run the code… a little help plzz… :frowning:

1 Like

So I’m kind of stuck at the intro to HTML-Displaying Text part, and Ive tried over and over again to go on to the next section but i keep getting ‘‘Did you add a <p> tag in the introduction <div> ?’’
even if i copy the text, and even if i click the solution, copy it and reset the exercise then paste the solution and it still wont accept that as an answer…help!

<body>
  <h1>The Brown Bear</h1>
  <div id="introduction">
    <h2>About Brown Bears</h2>
    <p>The brown bear (Ursus arctos) is native to parts of northern Eurasia and North America. Its conservation status is currently Least Concern. There are many subspecies within the brown bear species, including the Atlas bear and the Himalayan brown bear.</p>
    <h3>Species</h3>
    <h3>Features</h3>
    <p>Brown bears are not always completely brown. Some can be reddish or yellowish. They have very large, curved claws and huge paws. Male brown bears are often 30% larger than female brown bears. They can range from 5 feet to 9 feet from head to toe.</p>
  </div>
  <div id="habitat">
    <h2>Habitat</h2>
    <h3>Countries with Large Brown Bear Populations</h3>
    <h3>Countries with Small Brown Bear Populations</h3>
    <p>Some countries with smaller brown bear populations include Armenia, Belarus, Bulgaria, China, Finland, France, Greece, India, Japan, Nepal, Poland, Romania, Slovenia, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan.</p>
  </div>
  <div id="media">
    <h2>Media</h2>
  </div>
</body>

Hello, I am having the same issue as ([diablojd52]). where it tells me “Did you add the given text inside your <p></p> tag?” I have reloaded the page and rewrote this so many times and the error still there. Can someone help me and tell me what is going on?
this is very discouraging when you’re trying to learn code.

2 Likes

Hi.Ucraine also have some brown bears!:slight_smile: Thank you!

I have a question. I type everything correct in the practice (html), but it always says something is wrong. I took screen shots of the solution but even then it say its wrong. I just want to know what’s going on.

1 Like

Hello,
I’m having a hard time with the second instruction.
“2.Below the <h3> element that says Features , add a paragraph with the following text…”

" Did you add the given text inside your <p></p> tag?"
keeps popping up
Here’s what my code looks like so far:

The Brown Bear

About Brown Bears

"The brown bear (Ursus arctos) is native to parts of northern Eurasia and North America. Its conservation status is currently Least Concern. There are many subspecies within the brown bear species, including the Atlas bear and the Himalayan brown bear."

Species

Features

"Brown bears are not always completely brown. Some can be redish or yellowish. They have very large, curved claws and huge paws. Male brown bears are often 30% larger than female brown bears. They can range from 5 feet to 9 feet from head to toe."

Habitat

Countries with Large Brown Bear Populations

Countries with Small Brown Bear Populations

Media

Please help! Thank you

Hello same problem as everyone else!
all i get is the error code for "did you add the given text inside your

tag?

seems like no one is being helped with this, not a good first impression if im expected to pay $250+ later…

Hi there,

We would need to see some code to be able to help.

You can paste your code here on the forum, using the code formatting button </>

code formatting <----- this one