FAQ: Learn HTML Elements - Common HTML Elements - Opening Links in a New Window

This community-built FAQ covers the “Opening Links in a New Window” exercise in Codecademy’s lessons on HTML.

The most popular questions on the exercise Opening Links in a New Window:

Join the Discussion. We Want to Hear From You!

Have a new question or can answer someone else’s? Reply (reply) to an existing thread!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources about HTML in general? Go here!

Want to take the conversation in a totally different direction? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account, billing, Pro, or Pro Intensive? Reach out to our support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

Other FAQs

The following are links to additional questions that our community has asked about this exercise:

• This list will contain other frequently asked questions that aren’t quite as popular as the ones above.
  • Currently there have not been enough questions asked and answered about this exercise to populate this FAQ section.
  • This FAQ is built and maintained by you, the Codecademy community – help yourself and other learners like you by contributing!

Not seeing your question? It may still have been asked before – try searching for it by clicking the spyglass icon (search) in the top-right of this page. Still can’t find it? Ask it below by hitting the reply button below this post (reply).

2 posts were split to a new topic: Do attributes need to be in a specific order?

2 posts were split to a new topic: I don’t understand

What the difference between _top and _parent? Upon trying all the attributes of target it seems like top and parent has the same purpose.

Can someone explain it to me

Thank you in advance :smile:

seems to be used when frames where popular:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18470097/difference-between-self-top-and-parent-in-the-anchor-tag-target-attribute

Can we open a link directly in new incognito tab?

Not so far i know, googling seems to confirm it:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/24647899/html-a-hyperlink-target-inprivate-incognito-window

make sense you can’t force people into private navigation, should be the users choice

Hello,

I am getting the special character must be escaped but i can’t seem to find the error

<a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_bear"target="_blank">Learn More</a>
1 Like

missing%20tag

attributes should be separated by spaces, so there should be a space between " and target

1 Like

Oh, i didn’t know that . Thank you very much for your help:)

Why is the way the attribute is defined so strange (written with an underscore)? Why was it not decided to use “target=blank” or “target=new” for example?

1 Like

I think there is a problem with this page. I was unable to proceed until I replaced the entire link with the text Learn More with the example link: a href=“https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_bear” target="_blank">The Brown Bear

I have the same question as blogwhizz20587: why is an underscore used? Why is it not: target=“blank”?

1 Like

on the target _blank attribute that causes the webpage to open the hyperlink in a new page. does this bypass any “pop up” blocks the person looking at your page may have set on their browser? Or is html taking care of that by letting the browser know that this is not a pop up? Or am I all wrong on my term PopUP

I think target blank will work in most cases, and its not considered pop-up. But its a complex story with a lot of nuances, because most modern browsers open new webpage in a tab instead of a new window

Most people will use there browser built-in pop-up blocker, so unless your link goes to a well known ad-site, you should be good

of course, sometimes users might have installed custom addons/plugins so you might still get blocked, although pop-ups usually don’t use <a target="_blank">

1 Like

Thank You so much!
I appreciate it!
I did not expect such a speedy response :slight_smile:

Could we add multiple href/hyperlinks in an anchor tag?

Why would you want to do that?

Then simply create multiple anchor elements for the user to click on