FAQ: Learn HTML - Common HTML Elements - Whitespace

This community-built FAQ covers the “Whitespace” exercise in Codecademy’s lessons on HTML.

The most popular community questions on the exercise Whitespace:

Join the Discussion. We Want to Hear From You!

Have a new question or can answer someone else’s? Reply (reply) to an existing thread!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources about HTML in general? Go here!

Want to take the conversation in a totally different direction? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account, billing, Pro, or Pro Intensive? Reach out to our support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

Other FAQs

The following are links to additional questions that our community has asked about this exercise:

• This list will contain other frequently asked questions that aren’t quite as popular as the ones above.
  • Currently there have not been enough questions asked and answered about this exercise to populate this FAQ section.
  • This FAQ is built and maintained by you, the Codecademy community – help yourself and other learners like you by contributing!

Not seeing your question? It may still have been asked before – try searching for it by clicking the spyglass icon (search) in the top-right of this page. Still can’t find it? Ask it below by hitting the reply button below this post (reply).

why isn’t

<p>
        Whitespace and indentation make html documents easier to ready
      </p>

all on one line?

I think a better question why use Whitespace instead of one or two <br>s? The latter is so much shorter and easier to type out.

1 Like

Whitespace is spaces found in code but will not be shown in the result.

For example:

<p> Paragraph One </p>

<p> Paragraph Two </p>

The above code ^ I have many lines of whitespace between the two paragraph tags, but when the browser loads the code that whitespace won’t show. The only space between the two paragraphs will be the default space as if there wasn’t three lines of whitespace between them.

The <br> tag effects how the code load. If I were to put it between the two paragraphs then there would be an empty space between the paragraphs when the page it loaded.

Hope this clears up.

So Whitespace doesn’t effect how HTML renders

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Whitespace Intro to HTML

I think the point of the exercise was that if you’re working on code collectively which it seems that a lot of the time you will be other people have to be able to read your document efficiently. So the on each line bit it for basic human stuff as opposed to visual browser stuff which is what the line break tag is for I think. But I’m a bit baffled by the simplicity of this exercise tbh.