FAQ: Learn HTML - Common HTML Elements - Linking to Relative Page

This community-built FAQ covers the “Linking to Relative Page” exercise in Codecademy’s lessons on HTML.

The most popular questions on the exercise Linking to Relative Page:

Join the Discussion. We Want to Hear From You!

Have a new question or can answer someone else’s? Reply (reply) to an existing thread!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources about HTML in general? Go here!

Want to take the conversation in a totally different direction? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account, billing, Pro, or Pro Intensive? Reach out to our support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

1 Like

Other FAQs

The following are links to additional questions that our community has asked about this exercise:

Not seeing your question? It may still have been asked before – try searching for it by clicking the spyglass icon (search) in the top-right of this page. Still can’t find it? Ask it below by hitting the reply button below this post (reply).

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: What are the advantages of using relative paths?

2 posts were split to a new topic: What is the nav element?

Is the ./ necessary when linking to local files?

One of the articles I was reading didn't include the ./ when linking to a local file.

1 Like

necessary? No

should you use it? Not perse, but you could argue its more explicit to look for the file in the current directory.

1 Like

Why are the link to Home or contact me not written inside the body tag? Still they are seen.

1 Like

Can you provide exercise url? And your code? This question misses context

1 Like

Do we need the dot - ./about.html
Can we use /about.html without the dot.

1 Like

The dot represent the current directory, it can be without but then it becomes about.html

/about.html would mean looking in the root directory.

1 Like

relative path links to local file with in the main folder or the root folder.
So why in this exercise it is told to write to link index.html with in the same index.html.

Brown Bears Brown bear ............this links to index.html right? but it is already inside this index.html no/
1 Like

Yeah, it links to the Brown Bear page. It’s so that you can come back to it after visiting About Me.

2 Likes

why did we first add a link to index.html ? isnt it the file we are working on it?

I’m trying to do the exercise for the relative path, it says put the index.html directly below the tag, and I did but it won’t proceed. I’m wondering if it’s a bug.

1 Like

What is an absolute path? I see we relative paths are defined on this exercise, however absolute paths are not.

An absolute path refers to the complete details needed to locate a file or folder, starting from the root element and ending with the other subdirectories