FAQ: Learn CSS Selectors Visual Rules - CSS Visual Rules - Font Weight I

Community%20FAQs%20on%20Codecademy%20CSS%20Exercises

This community-built FAQ covers the “Font Weight” exercise in Codecademy’s lessons on CSS.

FAQs on the CSS exercise Font Weight

Join the Discussion. We Want to Hear From You!

Have a new question or can answer someone else’s? Reply (reply) to an existing thread!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources about CSS in general? Go here!

Want to take the conversation in a totally different direction? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account, billing, Pro, or Pro Intensive? Reach out to our support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

1 Like

Other FAQs

The following are links to additional questions that our community has asked about this exercise:

• This list will contain other frequently asked questions that aren’t quite as popular as the ones above.
  • Currently there have not been enough questions asked and answered about this exercise to populate this FAQ section.
  • This FAQ is built and maintained by you, the Codecademy community – help yourself and other learners like you by contributing!

Not seeing your question? It may still have been asked before – try searching for it by clicking the spyglass icon (search) in the top-right of this page. Still can’t find it? Ask it below by hitting the reply button below this post (reply).

Will there be a difference between setting the font weight of a text in html to “bold” and the use of the tags?

I don’t understand how the description was added to the image

how do I make a word in a sentence bold whiles the remaining sentences keep the normal font weight?

Hey @mannie_29!

There are a couple ways to do it:

You can surround the word in <span></span> tags and then change the styling of the tags like so:

<p>I am <span>depressed</span> *Suddenly Pineapples* this does not help</p>

and in your CSS file:

span {
  font-weight: bold;
}

OR, you can use the built-in bold tags(<b></b>) like so:

<p>It's Muffin Time! Actually its <b>12:30</b>. SOMEBODY EAT ME</p>

Hope this helps!

1 Like

What is the difference in using in html and font-weight in CSS? Is one better than the other?

typo on the 5th line of text(a another).

Note that font-weight can also be assigned a numeric value from 100-900. 400 font-weight is the normal font. 800 font weight is bold font

3 Likes

Also answering to @th3prof3ssor ,

The usage of “bold” in HTML or tags can be done using the <strong> element. The <strong> element is a semantic HTML element used to indicate strong importance or emphasis. By default, browsers often render text within <strong> elements as bold. Example below:

<p>This is a <strong>strongly emphasized</strong> text.</p>

If the intent is to convey strong importance or emphasis, it is more semantically correct to use the <strong> element.

In terms of CSS, The font-weight CSS property is used to set the boldness of the text. It can be applied to any HTML element, and it’s not limited to just <strong> . Moreover, the level of boldness can also be customized by the user through explicitly specifying a range between 100 to 900 inclusive with a jump of 100 between intervals each. (100, 200, 300…)

p {
  font-weight: bold;
}

div{
  font-weight: 200;
}

h2{
  font-weight: 700;
}

If you are styling text for visual presentation purposes, using font-weight is a common practice.