FAQ: Learn CSS Selectors Visual Rules - CSS Setup Selectors - Nested Elements

This community-built FAQ covers the “Nested Elements” exercise in Codecademy’s CSS lessons.

FAQs on the CSS exercise Nested Elements

Join the Discussion. We Want to Hear From You!

Have a new question or can answer someone else’s? Reply (reply) to an existing thread!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources about CSS in general? Go here!

Want to take the conversation in a totally different direction? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account, billing, Pro, or Pro Intensive? Reach out to our support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

Other FAQs

The following are links to additional questions that our community has asked about this exercise:

• This list will contain other frequently asked questions that aren’t quite as popular as the ones above.
  • Currently there have not been enough questions asked and answered about this exercise to populate this FAQ section.
  • This FAQ is built and maintained by you, the Codecademy community – help yourself and other learners like you by contributing!

Not seeing your question? It may still have been asked before – try searching for it by clicking the spyglass icon (search) in the top-right of this page. Still can’t find it? Ask it below by hitting the reply button below this post (reply).

total newb here.

just wondering, using selectors in css, what is the difference between writing:

h5.description {…}

and

.description h5 {…}

Please help :slight_smile:

I have the same question.

From the summary page of the lesson:

• Multiple selectors can be chained together to select an element. This raises the specificity, but can be necessary.
  • Nested elements can be selected by separating selectors with a space.

So I think h5.description{} would apply to h5 elements with a class of “description”, whereas .description h5{} would apply to h5 elements nested inside elements with a class of “description”. This was explained in exercises 12 and 13.

Hi,
I am totally new to the code world, I hope what is below will make sense!

Can I select and style a particular item in a <ul> or <ol> ?
Example:

<ul>
<li> item1 </li>
<li> item2 </li>
<li> item3 </li>

How can I select the “item2” and make it for example bold while keeping “item1” and “item3” the same?
Thanks

One way is to use child selectors, known as pseudo-class selectors.

If we can assume there is only the one list, then,

li:nth-child(2) {
  font-weight: bold;
}

I m a rookie and waiting for help…

Thanks for community I got the right answer but i got confuse

what’s the different between the .description h5{} and h5{}

I can’t see any different after run…