FAQ: Learn CSS Selectors Visual Rules - CSS Setup Selectors - Multiple Selectors I

This community-built FAQ covers the “Multiple Selectors” exercise in Codecademy’s CSS lessons.

FAQs on the CSS exercise Multiple Selectors I

Join the Discussion. We Want to Hear From You!

Have a new question or can answer someone else’s? Reply (reply) to an existing thread!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources about CSS in general? Go here!

Want to take the conversation in a totally different direction? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account, billing, Pro, or Pro Intensive? Reach out to our support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

Other FAQs

The following are links to additional questions that our community has asked about this exercise:

• This list will contain other frequently asked questions that aren’t quite as popular as the ones above.
  • Currently there have not been enough questions asked and answered about this exercise to populate this FAQ section.
  • This FAQ is built and maintained by you, the Codecademy community – help yourself and other learners like you by contributing!

Not seeing your question? It may still have been asked before – try searching for it by clicking the spyglass icon (search) in the top-right of this page. Still can’t find it? Ask it below by hitting the reply button below this post (reply).

In this exercise we created multiple selectors h5 and p and made a font-family property set to Georgia, specificity from high to low would be ID , CLASS and TAGS respectively but in this lesson creating an h5 and p selector and making its font Georgia changes all h5 and p elements. how come in the code below h5{color:rebeccapurple;} doesn’t override all the h5 elements but in this exercise it overrides all h5 and p elements eventhough they have the same specificity in the previous lesson Chaining and specificity? Is it because were declaring a change to a different attribute and property which is (font family: Georgia;) ?

.description h5{
color: teal;
}

h5{
color: rebeccapurple ;
}

Thank u

We will need a link to the exercise to give this question some context. Not enough information above to draw any conclusions.

A very late reply but I’m just now going through this lesson and conversation. So for the sake of having the question answered for myself and future students, here is the link

1 Like

https://www.codecademy.com/paths/web-development/tracks/styling-a-website/modules/learn-css-selectors-visual-rules/lessons/css-setup-selectors/exercises/multiple-selectors-i

In this exercise, in style.css, we’ve been instructed to write this:

p {
font-family: Arial;
}

and this later on down the line:

h5,
p {
font-family: Georgia;
}

Why are we listing two separate font-families for p elements? Should the Arial one be eliminated?

what i dont get is which of the p fonts is used? which takes priority and why?

I had the same question. Did the

p {
font-family: Georgia;
}

overide the

p {
font-family: Arial;
}

because it appeared later in the document?

Would the styling code still work if we didn’t structure the selectors in stack-form:
h1,
li {}
But rather in line form?
h1, li {}
Would the styling work the same?
Or does it have to be in stack-form?

As long as the comma is there, the white space is ignored. Either is fine.