FAQ: Learn CSS Selectors Visual Rules - CSS Setup Selectors - Intro to CSS

This community-built FAQ covers the “Intro to CSS” exercise in Codecademy’s CSS lessons.

FAQs on the CSS exercise Intro to CSS

Join the Discussion. We Want to Hear From You!

Have a new question or can answer someone else’s? Reply (reply) to an existing thread!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources about CSS in general? Go here!

Want to take the conversation in a totally different direction? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account, billing, Pro, or Pro Intensive? Reach out to our support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

1 Like

Other FAQs

The following are links to additional questions that our community has asked about this exercise:

• This list will contain other frequently asked questions that aren’t quite as popular as the ones above.
  • Currently there have not been enough questions asked and answered about this exercise to populate this FAQ section.
  • This FAQ is built and maintained by you, the Codecademy community – help yourself and other learners like you by contributing!

Not seeing your question? It may still have been asked before – try searching for it by clicking the spyglass icon (search) in the top-right of this page. Still can’t find it? Ask it below by hitting the reply button below this post (reply).

How does CSS know which HTML to style? I couldn’t find anything mentioning index.html in style.css.

1 Like

In this example each section was assigned two classes, one common “container” and one unique name. For the unique names (ie. nav, header, jumbotron) why weren’t id’s used instead of classes?

Why have <div> elements been used with class attributes specifying their function i.e. header and nav? Rather than the semantic markup i.e. <header> and <nav>?

Is it because of something CSS related? I previously read that semantic HTML is better for accessibility and machine readability, than using <div>s with classes…

1 Like

I’m not an experto, but if I were to withdraw some clue from what I’ve learned so far I would say that the linking, or better said the reference is unidirectional. If you notice on some html file samples, the < head > has a with rel= and href= attributes, which tells me it is referencing the code there. As a resource, CSS serves the HTML but not the other way.

Again I apologize if this is wrong or vague, I’m just trying to apply what I’ve learned so far… anyway, enough of self-deprecation!!! :grimacing: hope this brings some experts attention! @wiki-bot

Ciao!

p.s.: found this helpful article later on https://discuss.codecademy.com/t/how-do-i-link-my-html-and-css/423288