FAQ: Languages for Web Development - Common Tags

This community-built FAQ covers the “Common Tags” exercise from the lesson “Languages for Web Development”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Code Foundations

FAQs on the exercise Common Tags

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

Hello!

Every time I press (“less than” → “<”) i can’t see the symbol, I see only a red character until I close the tag. For me, this is very annoying. Is it possible to disable the feature which markes the “less than” with red?

See what I mean in this image:

The closing tags keep the html contents in place to avoid problem or going over into other content.

Slide 5 would be improved if there was an actual example of what an anchor tag is. It isn’t that clear.
Learn What to Learn | Codecademy

2 Likes

I agree! This is exactly what I came to this forum to find.

anchor element (or a )
<a>I'm an anchor element.</a>

opening tag is <a> ← it starts the a element.
closing tag is </a> ← it ends the a element.

make the space between tags and content…maybe thats why it shows red

the exercises in page five were already answered??. I don’t know if I had to do something, even thought it was asked to.

i.e. Put an opening and closing h1 tag around the text that says Jetsetter Travel Agency .

in the code it is already with the tags

2 Likes

I have the same problem! It won’t let me continue until I do it, and it’s already done. :confused:

same here! I mean, you just need to click “Run” and the tasks will be marked as completed, but what’s the point if the exercise is already done?

1 Like

lol they should check that

Hi,
I am having issues in progressing to the ‘next step’. After I put my code in and click ‘run’, the web browser doesn’t load. is there any way I can fix this?
help is greatly appreciated.

The browser will not know where the element ends and it will render an unexpected result.