FAQ: JavaScript Promises - The onFulfilled and onRejected Functions

This community-built FAQ covers the “The onFulfilled and onRejected Functions” exercise from the lesson “JavaScript Promises”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Asynchronous JavaScript

FAQs on the exercise The onFulfilled and onRejected Functions

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

2 posts were split to a new topic: How do I use the terminal?

app.js
const {checkInventory} = require('./library.js');

const order = [['sunglasses', 1], ['bags', 2]];

// Write your code below:
const handleSuccess = (resolvedValue) => {
    console.log(resolvedValue);
};

const handleFailure = (rejectReason) => {
    console.log(rejectReason);
};

checkInventory(order)
    .then(handleSuccess, handleFailure);
library.js
const inventory = {
    sunglasses: 1900,
    pants: 1088,
    bags: 1344
};

const checkInventory = (order) => {
    return new Promise((resolve, reject) => {
        setTimeout(() => {
            let inStock = order.every(item => inventory[item[0]] >= item[1]);
            if (inStock) {
                resolve(`Thank you. Your order was successful.`);
            } else {
                reject(`We're sorry. Your order could not be completed because some items are sold out.`);
            }
        }, 1000);
    })
};

module.exports = { checkInventory };```

> why  in this(let inStock = order.every(item => inventory[item[0]] >= item[1]);)do you append 'inventory' ?
4 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: How does the inventory comparison function work?

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: How does the inventory comparison function work?

2 posts were split to a new topic: What caused my reference error?

3 posts were split to a new topic: How does .then know what to pass?

2 posts were split to a new topic: What is the difference between quotes and backticks?

3 posts were split to a new topic: What is my error?

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: How does .then know what to pass?

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: How does the inventory comparison function work?

A post was merged into an existing topic: How does .then know what to pass?

Ok, this is a really dumb question, but I seem to run into the same issue a lot, the way I am thinking about this, so if anyone could help, that would be great.

const {checkInventory} = require(’./library.js’);

const order = [[‘sunglasses’, 1], [‘bags’, 2]];

// Write your code below:
const handleSuccess = (resolvedValue) => {
console.log(resolvedValue);
};

const handleFailure = (rejectReason) => {
console.log(rejectReason);
};

checkInventory(order)
.then(handleSuccess, handleFailure);

What I want to know is, why does the program know that the resolvedReason or rejectReason points to checkInventory(order)? How does the program know these are connected?

5 Likes

I have two questions relative to this lesson:

1. Per the lesson instructions, I wrote the following two functions:
    function handleSuccess (resolved) {
    console.log(resolved)
    }
    function handleFailure (rejection) {
    console.log(rejection)
    }
    No where are “resolved” or “rejection” defined anywhere else. I simply made up those labels, yet the code works. How does this mechanism tie those arbitrary names I made up to the checkInventory() function?

2. Within the checkInventory() function is the following line:
    let inStock = order.every(item => inventory[item[0]] >= item[1]);
    The variable “item” is not defined anywhere else in the code. It’s only appearance within this program is on that line within the setTimeout function. Why doe the program recognize “item”? Where is it declared or defined?

Subsequent edit: Almost immediately after submitting my questions, I think I had an epiphany regarding my second question. The object “item” is not a variable, but a function, using VERY truncated arrow syntax, and returns either “true” or “false” depending upon the resolution of the comparison the occurs to the right of the “=>”. Is this right?

2 Likes

It is declared in the formal parameter; as we see. .every() takes a function that executes on every ‘item’ in the ‘order’ object.

1 Like

Thanks!

Do you have an insight on my first question?

The name we give a parameter has no influence upon the argument. In this case we’re looking at ‘true’ and ‘not true’ as potential arguments. How we come to those is more the question for one to explore. The code given is not enough to help with this investigation so we’ll need to find some literature.

@mtf

I think it must have something to do with the in-built .then() function, which is a method that we call on the promise returned from the checkInventory function. When invoked, .then() must read the state of the promise and pick up either the resolve() or reject() value, depending on the outcome of checkInventory’s if statement. It must then pass this value into either its first (if resolved) or second (if rejected) callback function, where it ends up as the single parameter which you have arbitrarily named as either resolved or rejection .

1 Like

@mtf @midlindner

In this exercise the function checkInventory is exported from one file, and imported into another, using the following code:

module.exports = { checkInventory };

const { checkInventory } = require('./library.js');

I’m not sure why the function name checkInventory is wrapped in curly braces.

In the lesson Intermediate Javascript Modules, we learnt in Exercise 2. module.exports and Exercise 3. require( ) that the name of the module being exported/imported is written with a capital letter and without curly braces. Then in Exercise 4. module.exports II we learnt that we do use curly braces in  module.exports = { };  when we directly assign the data and functions (which we’re exporting) to module.exports  as properties of an object which we create with the curly braces — instead of exporting them by reference to a previously defined module name. However, I do realise that neither of these situations really matches the one we have in this exercise where we are exporting a single, pre-defined function by reference to its function name.

Are the curly braces actually necessary? The function is successfully exported/imported, and everything seems to work just as well, when I run the same code but without the curly braces.

In later exercises in the Intermediate Javascript Modules lesson, we learnt that we do wrap the variable names of the data we are exporting/importing in curly braces when these are separately named exports. At first, this would seem to explain why we use curly braces to export/import the function in this exercise; however, in the modules lesson, the curly braces are used in this way when we are exporting/importing using ES6 syntax, which is different from the Node.js syntax we are using here.

In this exercise, are the curly braces used with module.exports because we are exporting a single function, rather than a pre-defined module? That would seem strange to me because modules seem to be defined in exactly the same way as objects (only with a name that starts with a capital letter) and, after all, functions are also objects.

Do we only start the name/identifier with a capital letter when exporting the whole file as a pre-defined module? Can this pre-defined module only be an object literal i.e. not a function? Is that why we don’t use a capital letter when exporting/importing the function in this exercise? Even if there was only one function in the file, and we exported that, would we still not use a capital letter for this same reason?

All in all, I’m still struggling to understand what’s actually going on here in terms of the curly braces and capital letters. Could someone shed some light on this?

JavaScript modules - JavaScript | MDN

Can’t find a definitive syntax rule with regard to curly braces, only that multiple items can be exported or imported using a comma separated list within. Still digging…

The capital letters refer to classes, which can also be modules.

There are four links at the bottom of the above article. One expects more is revealed in those articles.

One thought that occurs to me is scoping. It could be what the curly braces are for… Block scope, of a sort.

This puts these functions and variables into a module scope. The module scope can be used to share variables between the functions in the module.

But unlike function scopes, module scopes have a way of making their variables available to other modules as well. They can say explicitly which of the variables, classes, or functions in the module should be available.

ES modules: A cartoon deep-dive

import - JavaScript | MDN

Scroll down to Syntax and you will see that single names can be written without curly braces, as quoted values.