FAQ: Iterators - Iterator Documentation

This community-built FAQ covers the “Iterator Documentation” exercise from the lesson “Iterators”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Web Development

Introduction To JavaScript

FAQs on the exercise Iterator Documentation

There are currently no frequently asked questions associated with this exercise – that’s where you come in! You can contribute to this section by offering your own questions, answers, or clarifications on this exercise. Ask or answer a question by clicking reply (reply) below.

If you’ve had an “aha” moment about the concepts, formatting, syntax, or anything else with this exercise, consider sharing those insights! Teaching others and answering their questions is one of the best ways to learn and stay sharp.

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

Hi there, could someone tell me, in this line of code:

const interestingWords = words.filter((word) => {return word.length > 5});

what is the function, what is the callback function, what is the method, what are the arguments?
I kind of get it but it makes no sense to me, thanks!

filter is the method used on the array. The callback function is the arrow function – (word) => {return word.length >5} – . This arrow function is passed as an argument to the filter method.

3 Likes

so does the console not mind the extra un-needed parenthesis here? there was only 1 parameter for each but the template made it seem like you needed 2 :wink: i left the extra parenthesis and didn’t throw an error.

if the function has a single parameter, you can leave the parenthesis ( () ) out, its just a shorthand.

1 Like

you call the .every method on interestingWords (not words), which contains words with length greater then 5 given the filter action you did earlier

but its still a bit of a guess from my side, given i can’t get your code to run without making assumptions. if you call every on words, you should get false indeed

Hi,

Just want to ask a follow up question concerning this assignment:

the array consists of: [‘unique’, ‘uncanny’, ‘pique’, ‘oxymoron’, ‘guise’];

the assignment asks for content of more then 5 chars.
return word.length > 5

but in the array there are 2 words with 5 chars, seeing the ‘=’ is not included why does it still return ‘true’??

Thanks Maarten

1 Like

i assume it refers to the result of the every method?

well, we have two arrays now: words and interestingWords, you call the .every method on the interestingWords array, which only contains words with more then 5 characters (courtesy to the filter method)

3 Likes

thanks @stetim94,

I was confused, as it does make a new variable were the new array is saved in. Hence the ‘true’ output as, indeed, the words more than 5 chars are in there…

:man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming:

Thanks !

Hi everyone!, could I ask why does .every() & .some() methods require a “return” statement and filter and other methods dont? is it because they return a Boolean?

Thanks,

2 Likes

The two functions take a predicate function, so yes, they will return a boolean. filter returns a list of values that once tested against an expression return true.

2 Likes

Hello there, I’ve been doing the first step

In the code editor, there is an array called words . We want to create a new array of interesting words. The first thing we want to do is check if there are words that are fewer than 6 characters long. There is something missing in the words.some() method call. Fix this method so that true is printed to the console.

So I’ve modified code to this state :

const word1 = (word) => { return word.length < 6; }; console.log(words.some(word1))

And it returns ‘true’, but task didn’t verify it as a solution, why?

1 Like

It may indeed be correct, as it shows no obvious errors. However, if the pattern above is not recognized, the SCT will not accept it.

Consider that arrow function syntax does have some shortcuts permitted in certain cases.

Single parameter ?  no parens required
Single statement ?  no curly braces or return required.

Eg.

shortWords = word => word.length < 6;

The above is valid arrow syntax given a single parameter, and only one expression, permitting implicit return.

Let us know if this pattern meets with the SCT’s expectations.

So, I’ve returned to the exercise and tried this, and it still did not meet SCT expectations (tho, I’ve moved on, by solving this with method, that meets expectations). And sorry if I’ve misunderstood something.
const shortWords = word => word.length < 6; console.log(words.some(shortWords))

2 Likes

It always helps to go and look at the lesson. It asks us to use .some

The line I wrote above is missing the method so will obviously not work. It should look something like this,

console.log(words.some(word => word.length < 6))

which will be True since two of the words are less than 6 characters.

hi,
I was able to create the interestingWords, but now as I attempt to call the actual words I end up with an error saying the ‘interestingWords’ is not a function… which to me is… what is wrong here?

const interestingWords = words.filter(word => word.length > 5);
console.log(words.every(interestingWords));

every needs need a callback function just like filter, and interestingWords is not a function.

every documention - MDN

1 Like

right… I need to get my head around that… gosh… Thx

What might help is to write a higher order function yourself? You could just write a function to log something:

current value is : 1
current value is : 2
current value is : 3

for example, here is something to help you:

function each(callback, myArray){
   // todo, write logic to execute callback and print value from the array
}

function myCallBack(elelemt){
    console.log(`the current value is ${element}`);
}

each is the higher order function here.

1 Like

For the first question in the instructions, I have added function with the parameters of word as follows it returns true but will not pass me to the next question, please advise on what, I am doing wrong. I have been stuck for longer than a hour already.

console.log(words.some(function(word){
  return word.length < 6;
}))