FAQ: Introduction to Statistics with NumPy - NumPy and Median

This community-built FAQ covers the “NumPy and Median” exercise from the lesson “Introduction to Statistics with NumPy”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Data Science

Introduction to Statistics with NumPy

FAQs on the exercise NumPy and Median

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

Hi everyone,

I’ve come up with the solution for this exercise. Everything seems fine (i.e. logic, print), but for some reason it is not accepted as a solution.

Here is my code:

import numpy as np

large_set = np.genfromtxt(‘household_income.csv’, delimiter=’,’)

small_set = [10100, 35500, 105000, 85000, 25500, 40500, 65000]
sorted_small_set = np.sort(small_set)
small_set_median = sorted_small_set[len(small_set)/2]
large_set_median = np.median(large_set)

print(small_set_median)
print(large_set_median)

I clicked on the button to give me the solution, I copied it, then reset it and pasted it into the terminal. It still doesn’t accept the solution even if it’s what I copied. I think it’s broken.

1 Like

I couldn’t figure out why my code wasn’t working when it came to the print section so I used the solution code… But it was identical to the code I had. So I think the last instruction might be bugged.

household_income.csv should be included but is missing.

How can I download the household_income.csv file? In addition to doing the exercises on codecademy, I am doing them on an editor (atom) on my local machine…

I had the same problem. You can’t.

It’s because this exercise is woefully out of date and using Python 2 not 3 - which was bad in 2019 and fairly tragic in late 2022 considering Python 2 is officially “End Of Life”. In Python 2 the / operator applied to integers performs integer division i.e. 7/3 = 3. In Python 3 ‘/’ on an int returns a float ie. 7/3 = 3.5. In Python 2 you have to do float(7)/2 which returns 3.5.