FAQ: Introduction to R Syntax - Vectors

This community-built FAQ covers the “Vectors” exercise from the lesson “Introduction to R Syntax”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Learn R

FAQs on the exercise Vectors

There are currently no frequently asked questions associated with this exercise – that’s where you come in! You can contribute to this section by offering your own questions, answers, or clarifications on this exercise. Ask or answer a question by clicking reply (reply) below.

If you’ve had an “aha” moment about the concepts, formatting, syntax, or anything else with this exercise, consider sharing those insights! Teaching others and answering their questions is one of the best ways to learn and stay sharp.

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

What is the number format, and how to identify the values as numeric/integer types ?

5 Likes

I agree that this was not explained sufficiently in the exercise. I needed to Google to figure this exercise out. c() stands for concatenate and is used regardless of the type of data (from the example and without explanation I assumed this was how we were defining the data type as character). The values are defined as numeric, simply by using numbers and not surrounding them with quotes.

2 Likes

Arguably, this lesson should require a phone number as a vector of character strings (due to potential for leading zeros, eg 555-111-0981
The form of the phone number is not internationally friendly - perhaps a different type of data that is a list that can be represented as numbers (date of birth perhaps).

1 Like

The type of elements in my vector were “double”. What does this mean ?

3 Likes

Very basic question but why in the example are the months in quotation marks but in the numeric solution we don’t include quotes? Thanks!!