FAQ: Introduction to Functions - Multiple Parameters

This community-built FAQ covers the “Multiple Parameters” exercise from the lesson “Introduction to Functions”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Computer Science
Data Science

FAQs on the exercise Multiple Parameters

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

What am I doing wrong?

I’m having issues too, only I went with this. Not running though. Could sure use some help.

Defining a function only gives it a name, specifies the parameters that are to be included in the function and structures the blocks of code.

Once the basic structure of a function is finalized, you can execute it by calling the function

you never call the functions, thus the functions never execute

@balint2, you call the functions, but the function calls are nested inside the functions. The function calls should be outside/after the function

Hi, I still don’t understand why “mult_x_add_y(5,2,3)” doesn’t work…

Edit: Never mind, I worked it out. I wasn’t paying attention to indentation…

Hi, after renaming the function to mult_x_add_y And now, add x and y as parameters of the function, after number .

Maybe, it would help to precise that the function has 3 ( THREE ) parameters : 1 - number, 2 - x and 3 - y

this kind of precision would help understand the change in the numbers of the parameters, and ease the execution of the following instructions.
BR
Vince

We cannot evaluate values in the parameter list.

#wrong
def foo(1 - number, 2 - x and 3 - y):
    pass

foo(a, b, c)

#right
def foo(number, x, y):
    pass

foo(1 - a, 2 - b, 3 - c)

The latter example evaluates the arguments and passes the resulting values.

Yes. You are right. And I agree with you.The 3 parameters remark deals with the way the question is worded in the course. I would have spent less time trying to solve this simple question if it was written more clearly : Now add two parameters to the parameter number. Now, the function have 3 parameters. That’s a way to ease the study and is more related to the teachers team. It is a matter of clarity.

The function mult_two_add_three takes a number, multiplies it by two and adds three. We want to make this more flexible. First, change the name of the function to mult_x_add_y .

Sure, I’d love to. But how do I change the name of a function? Kinda confused here.

ETA: I got it now. It wanted me to literally change the name of the function in the code, which had been empty/overwritten with stuff from previous sections. Had to reset the section.

How do I rename a function?

when you define a function:

def example():

you can rename the function at the definition:

def rename():

I don’t get it either. I think my code looks the same as the answer, but it doesn’t work!!