FAQ: Introduction to Functions - Keyword Arguments

This community-built FAQ covers the “Keyword Arguments” exercise from the lesson “Introduction to Functions”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Computer Science
Data Science

FAQs on the exercise Keyword Arguments

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

split this topic #2

A post was split to a new topic: Why doesn’t the following code work;?

In section 7 the following statement appears “When a function has a default value for one of its parameters, we can no longer call it positionally, and only by keyword.”

I can’t replicate the above statement. If a function has a default value and I call it using a positional argument it works fine. Am I misunderstanding what the above quote is trying to explain?

It could be that if you define a specific phrase, in this case the function was defined as saying "Engrossing Grocer’s " it will automatically call that phrase no matter what, so you don’t need to use a positional argument for it. Whereas, with the special item it didn’t have a specific phrase, so it would need to be called and a phrase or keyword would need to be introduced. I hope this helps.

I have a similar question. In the quiz, a function is defined as follows:
def update(new_value = 10):
old_value = new_value

It asks how to call the function with new_value of 20.

The correct answer is
update(20)

So does this work because there is only one parameter for the function, so that the keyword new_value doesn’t need to be explicitly spelled out when calling the function? If there were more parameters, each with a default value, or some has default values and others don’t, how would it work? Would the keyword arguments need to be spelled out in those cases?

thanks

new_value is only a local variable, not accessible outside of the function. It is preset to 10, but takes on any value we pass in. If no value is passed in, then new_value becomes 10.

Multiple keywords are possible, but the position is critical.

>>> def foo(a = 1, b = 2, c = 3):
    return a * 4, b * 3, c * 2

>>> foo()
(4, 6, 6)
>>> foo(4)
(16, 6, 6)
>>> foo(4, 5)
(16, 15, 6)
>>> foo(4, 5, 6)
(16, 15, 12)
>>> 

Yea I’m still stuck on that statement in part 7 “When a function has a default value for one of its parameters, we can no longer call it positionally, and only by keyword.”

I intended to break it to check this, and I’m able to pass arguments positionally that have default values and receive the correct output

Example from the lesson:

Define create_spreadsheet():

def create_spreadsheet(title, row_count = 1000):
print(“Creating a speadsheet called " + title + " with " + str(row_count) + " rows”)

Call create_spreadsheet() below with the required arguments:

create_spreadsheet(“Downloads”)
create_spreadsheet(“Applications”, 10) #<----- notice here that I did not explicitly call row_count.

Hey ! Is it possible to put a default argument before a non default argument when defining a function. If yes how can we call it ?

Consider,

>>> def remove_x(word, x='i'):
	return ''.join(word.split(x))

>>> remove_x('mississippi')
'msssspp'
>>> def remove_x(x='i', word):
	return ''.join(word.split(x))
SyntaxError: non-default argument follows default argument
>>> 

Hello all, first timer here.

I was wondering what the point of keywording something in the parameter is ? In the example of the exercise that have been mentioned in this thread:

def greet_customer(special_item, grocery_store=“Engrossing Grocer’s”):
print("Welcome to "+ grocery_store + “.”)
print("Our special is " + special_item + “.”)
print(“Have fun shopping!”)

Engrossing Grocer’s has now been keyworded into the parameter’s positional arguements.

It seems to me that this is extra work and redundant coding, since keywording something to a parameter is pretty much the same as me doing this :

def greet_customer(special_item):
print(“Welcome to Engrossing Grocer’s.”)
print("Our special is " + special_item + “.”)
print(“Have fun shopping!”)

now isn’t that pretty much the same as me keywording it into the parameter ? but with less code ?
or does keywording something as in the example have broader uses ?

also, on a side note. How do I store a functions output as a variable ?

ex:

def somernumbers(number, x, y)
print(number + x*y)

somenumbers(5, 3, 2)

now that prints the number to the console, but
how do I go about storing that number/function as a variable ? I’ve tried all sorts of things, but with no luck.

Thank you all so much in advance.

It is not the same. That example has hard coded a literal into the function body, and does not allow for a second positional argument. By keywording a default value, we may still replace that with a literal argument in subsequent calls.

>>> def add_to_list(temp_list=[], item='temp_item'):
    temp_list.append(item)
    return temp_list

>>> my_list = add_to_list()
>>> my_list
['temp_item']
>>> my_list = add_to_list(['existing item'])
>>> my_list
['existing item', 'temp_item']
>>> my_list = add_to_list(['existing item'], 'new item')
>>> my_list
['existing item', 'new item']
>>> 

What do you mean by a “special item” ? The sentence which emommsen was referring to, still seems to be wrong. Calling a function positionally works absolutely fine, even though it has a default parameter (which accepts any other argument anyway).

I feel like I am at my wits end on the section 7, when it asks me to call create_spreadsheet with a title “downloads” it doesn’t accept my answer, but when I check the solution the answer is exactly what I put in! Please see below:

https://www.codecademy.com/paths/computer-science/tracks/cspath-intro/modules/cspath-python-functions/lessons/intro-to-functions/exercises/keyword-arguments

Did you write,

create_spreadsheet("downloads")

or,

create_spreadsheet("Downloads")

?

I used upper case (“Downloads”) and it hasn’t accepted it

MIght be the lesson timed out. Tried a refresh and Save again.

Thank you sorted now

The syntax error code helped me to understand what they were trying to say in the lesson. Thank you!

So does this imply that default values must always be at the end of a list of arguments? We can’t have it before any non-defaults?

More than imply; it’s the rule.