FAQ: Intro to Visualization with R - Manual Aesthetics

This community-built FAQ covers the “Manual Aesthetics” exercise from the lesson “Intro to Visualization with R”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Learn R

FAQs on the exercise Manual Aesthetics

There are currently no frequently asked questions associated with this exercise – that’s where you come in! You can contribute to this section by offering your own questions, answers, or clarifications on this exercise. Ask or answer a question by clicking reply (reply) below.

If you’ve had an “aha” moment about the concepts, formatting, syntax, or anything else with this exercise, consider sharing those insights! Teaching others and answering their questions is one of the best ways to learn and stay sharp.

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!
You can also find further discussion and get answers to your questions over in Language Help.

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head to Language Help and Tips and Resources. If you are wanting feedback or inspiration for a project, check out Projects.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions in Community

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it online, or post in Bug Reporting

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

The example mentioned “darkred”. Which other colors are available in the library?

Hi, what’s the difference between aes(alpha=0.5) and alpha=0.5. Could someone please help me explain? Thanks.

You can find it here. http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~tzheng/files/Rcolor.pdf . Hope it helps.

By helping ahmadarhum.alam, I think I understand now:

• aesthetic mapping: R automatically chooses the color for us
  • manual mapping: we choose the color for ourselves.
    Would really appreciate if someone can verify or improve this.
1 Like

Hi, can someone explain how to differentiate data-driven and manual aesthetics?
It wasn’t very clear to me, it would mean a lot, thank you.

Hey guys,
is there a difference in assigning the alpha value of the geom_point() layer this way:

viz <- ggplot(data=movies, aes(x=imdbRating, y=nrOfWins)) +
       geom_point(aes(color=nrOfGenre, alpha=0.5)) 

Compared to the solution, which gets it out of the secondary bracket:

viz <- ggplot(data=movies, aes(x=imdbRating, y=nrOfWins)) +
       geom_point(aes(color=nrOfGenre), alpha=0.5) 

I tried both in RStudio and they provide the same result. I would have thought it’d be best to keep all values in that secondary bracket together…

What is considered best practice?