FAQ: History of Computer Science - You're telling me this is a Computer?

This community-built FAQ covers the “You’re telling me this is a Computer?” exercise from the lesson “History of Computer Science”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Code Foundations

FAQs on the exercise You’re telling me this is a Computer?

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

In the graph demonstrating Moores law - it appears that there was a slow down during the 90s? and early 00s? Is there an explanation for this?

Are transistors made by companies or do they grow by themselves?If they are made by companies then which i believe so, how was Moore able to predict that they would double every 2 years?

The first working silicon transistor was developed at Bell Labs on January 26, 1954 by Morris Tanenbaum. The first commercial silicon transistor was produced by Texas Instruments in 1954. This was the work of Gordon Teal, an expert in growing crystals of high purity, who had previously worked at Bell Labs

Transistor

Note in particular the Type, which is partially defined by the crystalline substances of which they are composed. Crystals are grown, but not as transistors, per se.

A transistor is made up of three layers. The outer two layers are of the same charge, so likely of the same substance. The inner layer is the opposite of the outer charge. To be this way in nature, it would have to be a different substance.

All in all, transistors are made, and will never occur naturally. Only the substances from which they are manufactured can be found in nature.

Backgrounder

Electric Current

Electrostatics

Logic Gate

additional discussion on this topic

Why is the number of transistors in a computer important?