FAQ: Hello World! - Pattern

This community-built FAQ covers the “Pattern” exercise from the lesson “Hello World!”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Learn C++

FAQs on the exercise Pattern

There are currently no frequently asked questions associated with this exercise – that’s where you come in! You can contribute to this section by offering your own questions, answers, or clarifications on this exercise. Ask or answer a question by clicking reply (reply) below.

If you’ve had an “aha” moment about the concepts, formatting, syntax, or anything else with this exercise, consider sharing those insights! Teaching others and answering their questions is one of the best ways to learn and stay sharp.

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

Yea sweet lets start off learning c++ by having the user guess what arbitrary number of spaces are required to pass the specs

14 Likes

Is is necessary to write std:: ?
Can we only write cout<<?

1 Like

tabs over spaces, why use spaces for this?

1 Like

I’ve been waiting for quite some time for this C++ course to come out, and i really like it! The only thing that i think is weird is that i can t see what it says it wants me to make it say, so then i have to see the solution, when i want to keep trying.

You can type:

using namespace std;

at the beginning of your program to not have to type std:: every time in your program.

Hi can someone pls tell me what I am doing wrong? I pass the exercise but on the right side it isn’t the same pattern.

#include

int main()
{

#include

int main()
{

std::cout << " 1\n";
std::cout << " 2 3\n";
std::cout << " 4 5 6\n";
std::cout << “7 8 9 10\n”;

}
}

Should be like this.

I am not able to jump the next level after printing the numbers from 1 to 10… why so?

Howdy All …
just farting around and I took a diffrent approach, learning to consolidate and comment code, requardless of language. Nothing EPIC or earth shattering but my 1st thoughts were:

code

2 3
4 5 6

7 8 9 10

it took a few tries to the align columns created. More important is it ran …follow the examples and understand the code. Then substitute and " see what happens if I change this " …
Trial and error with code is important if you want to learn how to debug!! -lol-
a good habit is developed a take sometime and investigate. It saved a few lines of code and I had to think to make it work, the space looks weird but it runs. baby steps for me and how it works >>>>>>>>>

or use the following code.

#include <iostream>
#include <stdint.h>

using namespace std;

int main()
{

uint16_t line=4,num=1, f;//You can play with line to print more numbers
  uint8_t b=line,FS;//FS=Front space
  if(line<5){f=2;}
  else if (line>=5&&line<14){f=3;}
  else {f=4;}//increase if statement and adjust f value for more lines

for (uint8_t a=1;a<=line;a++){
        for (FS=b*f;FS>=1;FS--){
            cout<<" ";
        }
        for (uint8_t aa=1;aa<=(a-1);aa++){
                printf("%0*d ",(f-1),num);
                num++;
        }
        printf("%0*i\n",(f-1),num);
        num++;
        b--;
  }
}

or like…

#include

int main()
{

std::cout << " 1\n 2 3\n 4 5 6\n7 8 9 10\n";

}

Doing coppers way certainly works but you’d have to add in the extra spaces to maintain the format of the original output they posted.
For visually learning, I just did it the way below to keep the spacing apparent. Not necessarily the cleanest though.

#include <iostream>

int main() 
{

std::cout << 
"       1\n"
"     2 3\n"
"   4 5 6\n"
"7 8 9 10\n";

}

I feel like this is a bug in their program. The output doesn’t match the description of what they’ve asked you to do. I don’t think doing a std::cout << for every single number is necessarily the most efficient, but that isn’t the point here. I did the exercise correctly based on the description and illustration - resulting in an output exactly like the one shown - but wound up having to accept the program’s solution over my own.

Nowhere does it display or ask the user to create a triangle of numbers.

Hello @sneakysquid09. Welcome to the forum.

You are exactly right. The exercise instructions do not describe the output the SCT expects. There is also an error here:
The actual output would be:

Hello
Goodbye

I will report this bug directly to the Codecademy Team. Thanks for bringing attention to this matter!

Update:

The instruction panel has been corrected: