FAQ: Environment - Nano

This community-built FAQ covers the “Nano” exercise from the lesson “Environment”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Web Development

Learn the Command Line

FAQs on the exercise Nano

There are currently no frequently asked questions associated with this exercise – that’s where you come in! You can contribute to this section by offering your own questions, answers, or clarifications on this exercise. Ask or answer a question by clicking reply (reply) below.

If you’ve had an “aha” moment about the concepts, formatting, syntax, or anything else with this exercise, consider sharing those insights! Teaching others and answering their questions is one of the best ways to learn and stay sharp.

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!
You can also find further discussion and get answers to your questions over in Language Help.

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head to Language Help and Tips and Resources. If you are wanting feedback or inspiration for a project, check out Projects.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions in Community

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it online, or post in Bug Reporting

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

It does not work to follow the nano course as if I push control O it opens up the finder in my iMac to search for a file to open, to push control O and X is required in the tasks to continue the course… what to do?

Try using Cmd + O and Cmd + X since you’re on a Mac.

`
Hello
Could someone help me ? i am stuck here. No2- what do i have to type? I type “Kendrick …” then type Ctrl+ o or Cmd+o but they are not working. What are the process please ?
thanks

1 Like

You have to type Knedrick Lamar and then press Ctrl + o (from the keyboard) and Ctrl + x., whatever start with ctrl you have to press it from keyboard.

In regards to Nano environment, I am having issues with exercise 2 question 2. Asking to add Kendrick Lamar. I am typing Kendrick Lamar, then Ctri + 0, then enter, then Ctrl + X? That is not working.

Welcome to the forums!

It should be Ctrl + O (the capitalized letter “o”, not the number zero).

I apologize. I meant to type Ctrl +O. I am doing the following: on the first line, nano artist/hiphop.txt then “enter”. On the second line I have tried both “Kendrick Lamar” and just Kendrick Lamar, then Ctrl+O, enter, then Ctrl+X. It Continues to give me an error.

Assuming you meant artists and not artist, did you use the following command after? I believe you need to run it before the exercise will mark it off as right. Side note: it should be Kendrick Lamar, without the quotation marks.

cat artists/hiphop.txt
1 Like

You just helped me realized where my mistake was. Thank you.

2 Likes

Hello. I have a problem with writing Kendrick Lamar to the hiphop,txt using nano editor.
I noticed, that the editor complained that there was no directory, named “artists”. So I created it. I took all steps, described… I checked the spelling and it`s correct (no quotes or anything). The “cat” command outputs the correct answer… But there the solution was not accepted by the program.
Then I thought, that according to the file tree provided, there should be a parent directory called “music”. I started all over again and created the directory “music”. Then I created “artists” directory inside it. Then I performed all steps in nano. The “cat” command showed the correct results… BUT STILL NOT CORRECT according to the checker.
HEEEEEEEELP

Problem solved… Sorry. Idk how… Probably I got confused with the directories and folders…

Can someone please help me out from this problem ?
I m actually stuck at second task.
Pressing Ctrl + O then Enter then Ctrl + X.
After all this clicking on check answer. But still error is occurring .
Kindly guide.

Finally I made it through.
I corrected my mistake and got the result.

Hey! I was having the same error. For me, it was the typo in the name of Kendrick. I forgot about the ‘c’ :wink:

I’m having the same issue, I’ve stuck on the second task for hours. I’m following the instructions, but I can’t seem to pass. I’ve typed Kendrick Lamar pressed ‘control + o’ pressed ‘enter’ and pressed ‘control + x’. Still nothing, what is the problem?

Having an issue after ctrl+o, I’m unable to save the file. I get an error message that the file isn’t in the directory.

I tried opening the file with CTRL + O, and the prompt asks me for a file to overwrite, and I type in the file name, but the terminal say I didnt open the file

Hello Team can someone please help me i am stuck on the first part of
Open artists/hiphop.txt with nano.
its not working for me
as soon as i type nano hello.txt the command line opens and then i type artists/hiphop.txt but does not work i am stuck here

Am also stuck here. Did you get help?